Sexual infection risk from middle-aged 'swingers'
Thursday 24 June 2010
Middle-aged "swingers" are a hidden and significant source of sexually-transmitted infections (STIs), researchers have claimed.
Dutch scientists found that swingers – defined as straight couples who regularly swap partners at organised gatherings and clubs and indulge in group sex – had some of the highest rates of STIs, along with young heterosexuals and gay men. Those older than 45 were most likely to be infected, and women had higher infection rates than men.
A team led by Dr Nicole Dukers-Muijrers from the South Limburg Public Health Service wrote in the journal Sexually Transmitted Infections: "Potentially, they may act as an STI transmission bridge to the entire population."
The researchers found one in nine patients at three Dutch clinics was a swinger. Partner-swappers accounted for 55 per cent of all STIs in those older than 45. The researchers added swingers numbered in the millions internationally. Rebecca Findlay, of the Family Planning Association, said: "The lesson for British swingers is they're a risk group for STIs. The over-45s in this country are generally forgotten about in terms of sexual health information."
Life & Style blogs
Men in crop tops seem to be trending thanks to Kid Cudi, the social media and the catwalk
What is ALS and the Ice Bucket Challenge?
Greggs Google fail: bakery chain falls afoul of search engine's algorithms with 'unofficial' logo
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
Is this the end of apps? New research says a third of us don't bother to download
- 1 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 2 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 3 Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad and potatoes for Jagermesiter and vodka
- 4 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 5 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
£50000 - £60000 Per Annum + excellent company benefits: Clearwater People Solu...
£65000 - £70000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client based i...
£25000 - £30000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: Job Title: Energy En...
£475 - £550 per day + competitive: Orgtel: Senior Technical Accountant-Insuran...