Simple test can detect heart defects in babies
Friday 05 August 2011
All new babies should be routinely screened for life-threatening heart defects using a simple and painless test, researchers say. The pulse oximetry test measures blood oxygen levels in newborns using a small skin sensor on the hands or feet.
In a study of 20,000 babies in the West Midlands, the technique detected 53 cases of major congenital heart disease, of which 18 had been missed by the ultrasound tests that are now in use. It identified three-quarters of critical cases and when combined with physical examinations and ultrasound there was a 92 per cent identification rate, according to findings published in The Lancet.
Congenital heart defects, a major cause of infant death in the developed world, affect one newborn in 145 in the UK. Dr Andrew Ewer, of the University of Birmingham, said: "We would like to see all babies being routinely tested. We have enough evidence to say that pulse oximetry screening should be incorporated into everyday clinical practice."
Life & Style blogs
iPhone 7 (or iPhone 6S) leaked pictures show similarities to older model — but Apple is fixing the biggest issue of all
The face of fertility: why do men find women who are near ovulation more attractive?
'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
Google has set its terrifying, dreaming image robots on the public
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
- 1 Michelle Watt's father says TV presenter killed herself because she was in constant pain
- 2 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 3 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 4 North Korean defector flees to Finland 'with evidence of chemical testing on humans'
- 5 Greek debt crisis: The photograph that conveys the despair of Greece's elderly
£15000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: To support their continued grow...
£22000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They are the go-to company for ...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join the UK's leadin...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This caravan dealership are currently recruiti...