Suicide rates among men rise to ten-year high
Tuesday 22 January 2013
The number of suicides in the UK rose "significantly" in 2011, official figures revealed today, with the rate of men taking their own lives reaching its highest level for nearly a decade.
Men aged 30 to 44 remained the most likely to take their own lives – as they have since 2001 – but since 2007 those aged between 45 and 59 have seen the biggest suicide increase of any age group and now have the highest rate since 1986. Overall, the suicide rate rose by 8 per cent on 2010.
The Care and Support minister, Norman Lamb, said the problem needed to be tackled "head on". The Samaritans attributed the rise to the economic downturn.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 'Not suppost to cry': 9-year-old lists the worst things about being a boy
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 4 Lana Del Rey rape video: Marilyn Manson denies involvement in shocking leaked footage
- 5 Kenya bus attack: Al-Shabaab militants kill 28 non-Muslims who failed to recite Koran
Voluntary Only - Expenses Reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: A trustee (company d...
£45000 - £65000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join a successful an...
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Digital Sales Account Manager...