Swine flu girl died of septic shock
A six-year-old girl with swine flu died of septic shock following a bout of tonsilitis, it was announced today.
The post mortem results on Chloe Buckley, from from West Drayton in west London, showed the tonsilitis was caused by streptococcus A bacterium.
Chloe died on 9 July at St Mary's Hospital in Paddington.
It is not clear to what extent swine flu contributed to her death.
Dr Simon Tanner, regional director of public health for London, said: "Following the death of six-year-old Chloe Buckley on July 9, a post mortem examination has concluded that Chloe died of septic shock as a result of a tonsilitis infection caused by the streptococcus A bacterium.
"Chloe was also found to have the swine flu H1N1 virus.
"It is not possible to say to what degree swine flu contributed to her death.
"We would once again like to extend our deepest condolences to Chloe's family at this difficult time and ask that the media respect their wishes to be allowed to come to terms with their loss in private."
A total of 29 people in the UK have died after contracting swine flu.
A post-mortem examination on Bedfordshire GP Michael Day, who died on 11 July, showed swine flu was a significant factor in his death.
A statement by NHS Bedfordshire said: "The final coroner's report following the post-mortem into Dr Day's death has confirmed that swine flu was a significant contributory factor into his death."
Dr Day also suffered a blood clot to the lungs and was known to have heart disease and high blood pressure.
No inquest will be held into the death of the 64-year-old, who died in the Luton and Dunstable Hospital.
A spokeswoman for the World Health Organisation said today that more than 700 people worldwide were estimated to have died after contracting swine flu.
Life & Style blogs
Looking past the search results: Google 2.0 will 'build airports and cities' says report
Jennifer Lawrence nude pictures leaked: Reddit removes 'The Fappening' board dedicated to sharing naked pictures of celebrities
iPhone 'Wave': iOS 8 hoax claims you can charge your iPhone in the microwave - you can't
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
iOS 8: how to free up memory on your iPhone or iPad to install the update
- 1 Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
- 2 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
- 4 Alex Salmond: 'The rocks would melt with the sun before I'd ever set foot in the House of Lords'
- 5 Ice Bucket Challenge: US firefighter Tony Grider dies after participating in charity craze near power lines
£70000 - £80000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Group Head of Marketing and Communic...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: Level 3 Nursery Nurse required for ...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: L3 Nursery Nurses urgently required...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: We have a number of schools based S...