Tanning salons failing to check teens' sunbed use
Tuesday 01 May 2012
Tanning salons are still putting teenagers at risk of skin disease by failing to check the age of sunbed users.
A third of tanning salons do not verify the age of customers, according to the latest research by health professionals.
Since April Last year it has been illegal to allow anyone under 18 to use a sunbed in a tanning salon. But research by the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH) found that 32 per cent did not check whether a customer was old enough to do so. The findings will be presented at the CIEH's public health conference today.
Sunbed users are 75 oer cent more likely to develop skin cancer, which is the fastest-growing form of the disease in Britain. More than 1,800 people die from the disease and 9,000 cases are diagnosed every year.
The institute campaigned for tighter controls on the tanning industry after it became aware of teenagers with severe burns and blistering after using sunbeds.
Life & Style blogs
‘I had to terminate my pregnancies because I was carrying girls’ - the story of a woman forced into gender-selective abortions
'Excluded' dads put the heat on Mumsnet with campaign for parental parity in bringing up baby
Bill Granger recipes: Our chef cooks some American diner classics
GIF inventor Steve Wilhite says it should be pronounced 'jif'
'Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 plane found in Bermuda Triangle!' Viral Facebook links are profiting hackers
- 1 Is your name now 'banned' in Saudi Arabia?
- 2 Exclusive: World’s most pristine waters are polluted by US Navy human waste
- 3 Gender-specific books demean all our children. So the Independent on Sunday will no longer review anything marketed to exclude either sex
- 4 Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Jet ‘hijacking’ began soon after take-off
- 5 'Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 plane found in Bermuda Triangle!' Viral Facebook links are profiting hackers
£50000 - £60000 per annum: Charter Selection: This well respected and exciting...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Charter Selection: This exciting company and market...
£40000 - £60000 per annum + EXCELLENT SALARY: Austen Lloyd: Senior Private Cli...
£25,000 to £35,000: IT Connections Ltd: Signal Processing Engineer / Acoustics...