The secret of a happy retirement – lots of sex
Jeremy Laurance is a writer on health issues. He is former health editor of The Independent and the i and has covered the specialism for more than 20 years. He thinks the harm medicine does is under-appreciated, the harm it prevents over-rated, and that cycling works better than most drugs. He was named Specialist Journalist of the Year in the 2011 British Press Awards.
Monday 21 November 2011
What's the secret to a contented retirement? One answer, according to a new study, is regular sex. The more often married over-65s have sex the more likely they are to be happy with their lives, researchers found.
The survey of 238 men and women, presented yesterday at the Gerontological Society of America, found 60 per cent of those who had regular sex said they were very happy compared with 40 per cent for whom it was a distant memory.
When it came to their marriages, 80 per cent of those who had regular sex said they were very happy compared with 59 per cent of those who did not.
Adrienne Jackson, from Florida University, said the findings should "spark interest" in helping older people deal with "resolvable issues" which prevent them having sex.
Previous research shows the main factor that limits sexual activity is a man's health, not a woman's. Many illnesses, such as diabetes and prostate cancer, affect a man's capacity to have and maintain an erection.
But therapists warn about the danger of raising expectations so people feel there is something wrong if they are not having sex. There isn't.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
- 2 North Korean prison officers 'cooked prisoner's baby and fed it to their dogs', more horrific accounts from UN report reveal
- 3 Antonio Martin shooting: Mayor says there should be 'no comparison' to Ferguson
- 4 Antonio Martin shooting: Police and protesters clash over teenager's death just five miles from Ferguson, Missouri
- 5 British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
£20000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This full service social media ...
£24000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: We are 'Changemakers in retail'...
Very Competitive: Austen Lloyd: Senior Conveyancer - South West We are see...
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: DORSET MARKET TOWN - SENIOR PROPERTY SOLICITOR...