Third Briton dies from legionnaires disease
Friday 03 February 2012
A third British holidaymaker has died from contracting Legionnaires' disease while on holiday in Spain, the Valencia regional government said today.
The elderly man was originally thought to have died from heart problems after staying at the Diamante Beach Hotel in Calpe, southern Spain, but his death was later reclassified.
Two other elderly men have also died from the outbreak after staying at the hotel.
The men, who have not been named, were aged between 73 and 78.
A spokeswoman for the Foreign Office confirmed a third death, saying: "We are aware of an outbreak of Legionnaires' disease in Calpe. Local health authorities have confirmed the death of three British nationals as a result and are investigating.
"We are providing consular assistance to those affected by the outbreak and their families."
Two of the men were found dead in their hotel rooms on January 26 and 31 and another man died in hospital on February 1.
All three were on holiday with over-50s group Saga.
The company's head of communications, Paul Green, said: "Of the January 26 and 31 deaths, neither gentleman had come forward as feeling unwell so neither was being treated for Legionella.
"Both were found in their respective hotel rooms by a member of staff.
"Initially the suspected cause was heart failure but we understand the Spanish health authorities say Legionella may have been a contributing factor.
"There have been no confirmed diagnoses of Legionella since January 29."
Mr Green added that three people were being treated in a Spanish hospital and responding well to medication on a normal ward.
One person has been discharged.
Five others who recently stayed at the same hotel were treated in hospital in the UK and all but one have been discharged.
Saga said they moved all clients to a new hotel after their expert conducted tests on water samples.
The company said: "This is clearly a very upsetting time for families and staff.
"We have sent extra people to Spain to support them in any way we can.
"We treat people on our holidays as part of the family and this is a great tragedy and our condolences go out."
The company will be offering compensation to the holidaymakers who contracted the bacterium and has suspended sending clients to the hotel.
Life & Style blogs
KickAssTorrents down: biggest file-sharing site moves to .cr domain after takedowns
Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
Watch teenager Collin Burns break the Rubik's Cube world record by solving puzzle in just 5.25 seconds
'Are you beach body ready?' backlash: Protein World boss labels feminist campaigners 'terrorists'
The confessions of men who ordered mail-order brides
- 1 Frank Lampard's face drops when Holly Willoughby introduces him as a 'Man City legend'
- 2 Migrant crisis: Greek soldier saved 20 people singlehandedly off Rhodes beach
- 3 UK weather: Britain braced for snow as arctic air mass moves in
- 4 Aaron and Melissa Klein: Oregon anti-gay bakers ordered to pay $135,000 after refusing to make cake for same-sex wedding
- 5 Stephen Hawking endorses Labour in the General Election
£16000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Photographer/ Floor planner /...
£30000 - £40000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Front-End Developer - Guildford/Craw...
£13500 - £15000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Customer Service Assistant is...
£16000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An ambitious and motivated Sale...