Three in five people are overweight
The national obesity epidemic is now so severe that fewer than two in five adults in England are a "normal weight", according to new research.
One in ten children is obese by the time they start school, while there has been a sharp rise in the number of people admitted to hospital with obesity-related conditions.
About 24 per cent of men and 26 per cent of women were classified as obese in 2011, compared with 13 per cent and 16 per cent in 1993, when the data was first collected.
Counting obese and overweight people together, 65 per cent of men and 58 per cent of women are heavier than is healthy.
Graham Rowan, the chairman of the Obesity Management Association, warned that the epidemic was "spiralling out of control".
Tim Straughan, the chief executive of the Health and Social Care Information Centre, which compiled the data, said soaring obesity rates coincided with a decline in healthy eating and a lack of exercise.
Household purchases of fresh and processed fruit and vegetables have fallen since 2008. Purchases of fruit were 4.1 per cent lower in 2011 than in 2008, while the volume of vegetables bought dropped by 2.4 per cent in the same period, including a 6.6 per cent drop in fresh green vegetables.
Life & Style blogs
A roundup of the latest property news
Plus, do energy saving measures boost house prices?
The spring menswear season has only just begun, but I've already started to get deep and meaningful....
- 1 Diary of Second World War German teenager reveals young lives untroubled by Nazi Holocaust in wartime Berlin
- 2 Bosses of collapsed banks should be sent to jail, banking standards commission tells George Osborne
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
Negotiable Depending on Experience: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green R...
£25000 - £30000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
Negotiable: Progressive Recruitment: Dear Sumadhab, A growing engineering comp...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Ilford: We are currently recruiting for a Year ...