Three in five people are overweight
Thursday 21 February 2013
The national obesity epidemic is now so severe that fewer than two in five adults in England are a "normal weight", according to new research.
One in ten children is obese by the time they start school, while there has been a sharp rise in the number of people admitted to hospital with obesity-related conditions.
About 24 per cent of men and 26 per cent of women were classified as obese in 2011, compared with 13 per cent and 16 per cent in 1993, when the data was first collected.
Counting obese and overweight people together, 65 per cent of men and 58 per cent of women are heavier than is healthy.
Graham Rowan, the chairman of the Obesity Management Association, warned that the epidemic was "spiralling out of control".
Tim Straughan, the chief executive of the Health and Social Care Information Centre, which compiled the data, said soaring obesity rates coincided with a decline in healthy eating and a lack of exercise.
Household purchases of fresh and processed fruit and vegetables have fallen since 2008. Purchases of fruit were 4.1 per cent lower in 2011 than in 2008, while the volume of vegetables bought dropped by 2.4 per cent in the same period, including a 6.6 per cent drop in fresh green vegetables.
Life & Style blogs
Persistent heartburn 'could be a sign of cancer', new survey warns
Losing appetite as you age? Try adding umami flavour to restore the 'joy of taste'
The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back
Apple stopped a fingerprint scanner from appearing in Google’s Nexus 6
SAG Awards 2015: Best and worst gowns on the red carpet
- 1 Asteroid narrowly scrapes past Earth: how to watch the closest space rock for decades as it flies by
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back
- 4 British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
- 5 Watch Richard Dawkins read his own hatemail: 'I hope you do get sodomised by satanic monkeys in hell'
£38000 - £42000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the UK's best performing...
£35000 - £43000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Our award-winning client is one...
£15000 - £21000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This leading provider of Atlas ...
£18000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Opportunity to join established...