Too few qualified nurses in children's intensive care units
Monday 10 October 2011
Hospital wards that care for some of the sickest children in the country have an inadequate number of staff, a report has warned.
Two-thirds of paediatric intensive care units across Britain and Ireland do not have the recommended number of qualified nurses caring for ill children, according to the Paediatric Intensive Care Audit Network.
Just 13 of the 34 units surveyed are meeting the recommended standards. The study, conducted by researchers at the University of Leeds and the University of Leicester, also found that the mortality rate for children suffering from asthma, who required help with their breathing when they were admitted to the units, is relatively high compared with other developed countries.
Forty per cent of children admitted to paediatric intensive care needed mechanical help with their breathing. The death rate among these children was 4.7 per cent compared with a rate below 2 per cent in Australia and the United States. PA
Life & Style blogs
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
Ice Bucket Challenge: ALS Association doesn't yet know what to do with all of the money raised
The science of saturated fat: A big fat surprise about nutrition?
The best gowns on the red carpet of 2014 Venice Film Festival
iPhone 6 'release date' firmed up in leaked photos of Apple smartphone
- 1 Students heading off to 'charity challenge' grounded at Gatwick after travel firm goes bust
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- 5 Like Jennifer Aniston, I am no less of a woman because I am childless
- < Previous
- Next >
£350 - £400 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client based in Cent...
£17000 - £20000 Per Annum Bonus, Life Insurance + Other Benefits: Clearwater P...
£450 - £500 per day: Orgtel: SAS Business Analyst, London, Banking, Credit Ris...
£32000 - £38000 Per Annum Bonus, Life Insurance + Other Benefits: Clearwater P...