Too much fat and salt on school breakfast menus
Sunday 07 December 2003
Greater controls over what is eaten at school breakfast clubs are being urged after the discovery of fried sausages, crisps, sausage rolls, biscuits, hot chocolate, squash and doughnuts on some menus.
In one school there was no vitamin C, and the salt intake was double that of other schools investigated. None of the breakfast clubs surveyed provided fruit or fruit juice.
Researchers from the University of East Anglia also found that children who attended the clubs - launched by the Government four years ago to promote healthy eating and school attendance - were eating significantly more fat and salt.
Life & Style blogs
Hipster hate is everywhere - but is there a little bit of them in all of us?
Looking past the search results: Google 2.0 will 'build airports and cities' says report
Jennifer Lawrence nude pictures leaked: Reddit removes 'The Fappening' board dedicated to sharing naked pictures of celebrities
There is literally not a single woman in this iPhone 6 queue
The 'Angelina Jolie effect': Her mastectomy revelation doubled NHS breast cancer testing referrals
- 1 Mario Balotelli: Staff at arson-hit Manchester Dogs' Home convinced Liverpool striker is behind five-figure donation
- 2 There is literally not a single woman in this iPhone 6 queue
- 3 Scottish independence: Tory revolt against 'devo max' grows as Rail Minister Claire Perry joins
- 4 Hitler’s former food taster reveals the horrors of the Wolf’s Lair
- 5 Scottish independence referendum: JK Rowling, Russell Brand, Nigel Farage and more react to the 'No' vote
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Marketing Manager (CIM, B2B, MS Offi...
£22000 - £25000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A highly successful organisation wit...
£1 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Job Purpose To work closely with the he...
£32000 - £42000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client is curr...