'Traveller's tummy' may be cured by E. Coli patch
Thursday 12 June 2008
For sufferers of holiday tummy, relief may be at hand. Scientists have developed a vaccine patch that can cut the incidence of traveller's diarrhoea by 75 per cent.
Traveller's diarrhoea lasts on average between four and five days, involves 18 trips to the loo and leaves sufferers dehydrated and debilitated.
The patch, worn on the upper arm, delivers a tiny dose of toxin produced by E. Coli bacteria, the most common cause of diarrhoea, which stimulates the body's immune response. It is applied for a six-hour period three weeks before travel. A "booster" dose is delivered through a second patch applied one week before travel.
A trial using 170 volunteers in America found it significantly reduced the incidence and severity of diarrhoea. Researchers from the IOMAI Corporation in Gaithersburg, Maryland, found 21 per cent of those given a placebo had a moderate to severe attack of diarrhoea, compared with 5 per cent of those who received the vaccine. The results are published in the journal The Lancet.
Life & Style blogs
Holocaust Memorial Day: 70 years since Auschwitz liberation, these are the stories of survivors
Double chins could be 'cured' without surgery or dieting using new injection
Does the path to true love really lie in these 36 questions?
Hershey's angers US chocolate purists by forcing company to stop importing 'yummy' Cadbury bars
Food secrets: the good, the bad...and the faeces
- 1 King Salman: Just five days in, Saudi Arabia's new king has already overseen a beheading
- 2 The BBC has just done more to eradicate ‘terrorism’ than all our wars since 9/11
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Presidential optical illusion offers clues to how brain processes faces
- 5 Grumpy Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' rediscovered after 35 years
£30000 - £35000 per annum + 20 days holidays & pension: Ashdown Group: Marketi...
£35000 - £45000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Business Development Manager ...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This friendly and fast growing security compan...
£23000 - £26000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Market Research Executive...