Two die after contracting swine flu in Scotland
Tuesday 13 October 2009
Two more people have died after contracting swine flu, the Scottish Government has said.
The patients, a 48-year-old man from Greater Glasgow and Clyde and an 81-year-old Fife woman both had the H1N1 strain.
The man had "significant underlying health conditions" that contributed to his death while H1N1 was a "contributory factor" in the death of the pensioner.
Risk factors include heart and lung problems, and diabetes. Only one of those to die in Scotland – Bill Anderson, 53, from Fife – did not have underlying health issues.
The deaths follow the release of figures last week which showed the numbers of people admitted to hospital with the virus has reached a record high.
There were 36 new hospital admissions last week, the largest weekly intake since the outbreak began.
Estimates suggest that around 6,800 people caught the H1N1 virus last week, down from almost 13,800 the previous week.
Life & Style blogs
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
Winter crisis in A&E: Hospitals declare 'black alerts' as admissions shatter records, but full stats still unpublished
Bill Granger recipes: Tenderstem broccoli omelette; Fried eggs with Mexican-style tomato and chilli sauce; Pan-fried cavolo nero with soft-boiled egg
Unpaid make-up artists reveal the ugly side of Miss World
Google launches 'Contributor' payment service for ad-free internet browsing
- 1 'Not suppost to cry': 9-year-old lists the worst things about being a boy
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
Voluntary Only - Expenses Reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: A trustee (company d...
£45000 - £65000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join a successful an...
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Digital Sales Account Manager...