UK cancer cases could surge 30 per cent, report warns
New cases of cancer could rise by 30 per cent in the UK by 2030, experts warned, with poor diet, heavy alcohol consumption and an ageing population likely to play a major role.
The UK ranks 16th out of 27 countries in the European Union for the predicted rise in cases, says a report published by the World Cancer Research Fund.
In 2030 there will be 396,000 new cases of cancer in the UK, estimates suggest, versus 304,000 new cases in 2008 – up 30 per cent.
The league table of 27 EU member states is based on World Health Organisation estimates. Ireland has the biggest predicted rise, at 72 per cent.
The rises could owe to several factors, particularly to an ageing population. Higher-income countries tend to have greater levels of obesity and alcohol consumption and lower levels of exercise, which boost cancer risks.
Eastern Europe is expected to see a less steep rise in the number of people aged 65 or over.
Life & Style blogs
Dozens of empty homes in two of Liverpool’s most deprived areas will be brought back into use thanks...
A roundup of the latest property news
Plus, do energy saving measures boost house prices?
The 10 Best Scotch Whiskies
The 10 Best new smartphones
Bollywood star, Shahrukh Khan, accused of choosing sex of baby
Uncooked curry leaves caused mass outbreak of salmonella in Newcastle, say health officials
Stripes set to be big for Dolce and Gabbana as fashion designers get 20 months in prison for tax evasion
- 1 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Richard Nieuwenhuizen death: Six teenagers and 50-year-old father convicted of manslaughter in shocking case of referee killed over a game of football
- 4 Exclusive: Newcastle's star talent-spotter on brink as Joe Kinnear sparks walkout
- 5 Vast methane 'plumes' seen in Arctic ocean as sea ice retreats
£500 - £600 per day: Orgtel: FX Options Front Office Java / C# Developer - Ba...
£600 - £700 per day: Orgtel: Project Manager - Front Office - Regulatory IT C...
£33000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: NQTs required now fo...