UK nurses' group ends opposition to assisted dying
Saturday 25 July 2009
Britain's main nurses' organization has dropped its opposition to assisted suicide, as a new poll shows solid support for the right to die.
The Royal College of Nursing says it is adopting a neutral stance on the issue. Doctors group the British Medical Association remains opposed.
Under British law, assisting a suicide is punishable by up to 14 years in prison, but prosecutions are rare.
A survey by Populus published today found 74 per cent of people wanted the medical profession to be able to supervise assisted suicides, although a large majority felt it should be legal only in specific circumstances.
The issue was back in the headlines this month after 85-year-old British conductor Edward Downes and his wife Joan died at a Swiss suicide clinic.
Life & Style blogs
Geeks who rocked the world: Documentary looks back at origins of the computer-games industry
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
Paris Fashion Week: Skirting the issue for the stylish boys' brigade
The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back
Miss Universe 2015: A beefeater, a yellow tree and an entire hockey game - the bizarre national costumes
- 1 Benedict Cumberbatch says Hollywood is better for black British actors: 'I think as far as coloured actors go it gets really difficult in the UK'
- 2 Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
- 3 UK weather: Snow to fall in the coming week with sub-zero temperatures to last until early February
- 4 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 5 Warriors in ancient Iraq suffered Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder more than 3,000 years ago, say researchers
£18000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This rapidly expanding business...
£25000 - £55000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Based in Henley-on-Thames, this...
Excellent Salary : Austen Lloyd: OXFORD - REGIONAL FIRM - An excellent opportu...
Super Package: Austen Lloyd: BRISTOL - SENIOR CLINICAL NEGLIGENCE - An outstan...