UK reports five more cases of swine flu
Friday 08 May 2009
British health officials have confirmed five new cases of swine flu, bringing the national total to 39.
The cases are in four children and an adult who are all associated with a school in London.
The Department of Health said Friday that the school had been closed as a precaution and staff and students given antiviral drugs.
On Thursday Health Secretary Alan Johnson said authorities expected more British cases of the disease, but there was not yet any evidence of sustained person-to-person transmission. No one in Britain has died of the flu.
Most of the British cases are in people who recently traveled to Mexico, the epicenter of the swine flu outbreak.
Life & Style blogs
Astrological signs are almost all wrong, as movement of moon and sun throws out zodiac
McDonald’s launches clothing line using Big Mac prints
Distressed Zayn Malik fans are cutting themselves - how did fandom get so dark?
Clocks change: how to make sure iPhone and smartphones automatically ‘spring forward’
Curvy model Kate Upton is returning to the big screen for the film The Layover
- 1 Germanwings crash: Police make 'significant discovery' at home of co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 2 JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
- 3 The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
- 4 #FreeTheNipple: Women in Iceland bare breasts in solidarity with trolled student
- 5 Jeremy Clarkson calls on trolls to leave producer Oisin Tymon alone: 'None of this is his fault'
£22000 - £28000 per annum: Ashdown Group: This is a large multi-site operation...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity to join a lead...
£35000 - £38000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This dynamic outsourced contact...
£14000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity...