UK reports five more cases of swine flu
Friday 08 May 2009
British health officials have confirmed five new cases of swine flu, bringing the national total to 39.
The cases are in four children and an adult who are all associated with a school in London.
The Department of Health said Friday that the school had been closed as a precaution and staff and students given antiviral drugs.
On Thursday Health Secretary Alan Johnson said authorities expected more British cases of the disease, but there was not yet any evidence of sustained person-to-person transmission. No one in Britain has died of the flu.
Most of the British cases are in people who recently traveled to Mexico, the epicenter of the swine flu outbreak.
Life & Style blogs
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
Regin: Newly uncovered malicious software snooping since 2008 'was developed by a nation state'
The food fad that's starving Bolivia
Kim Kardashian recreates iconic Jean-Paul Goude naked 'Champagne Incident' photo
Henri de Toulouse Lautrec: Google celebrates 150th anniversary of French artist's birth
- 1 Universities aren't working us hard enough, say undergraduates
- 2 Lego letter from the 1970s still offers a powerful message to parents 40 years later
- 3 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
£32500 - £45000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An Electronic Engineer is requi...
Excellent Package: Austen Lloyd: LEICESTER - SENIOR COMMERCIAL SOLICITOR- An o...
£18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This IT support organisation focuses on ...
£26000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Technical Support Analyst / IT Support Analys...