Wakefield unlikely to be charged over MMR scare
Andrew Wakefield, the researcher who sparked the scare over MMR, is unlikely to face disciplinary charges after failing to reveal he worked for the Legal Aid Board six years ago, according to a senior member of the General Medical Council, (GMC).
Dr Wakefield is under investigation by the GMC for failing to declare a conflict of interest over his research which suggested that MMR vaccination might be linked with bowel disease and autism. The finding was published in The Lancet in February 1998, causing a mass boycott of the vaccine.
The editor of The Lancet, Richard Horton, said he would not have published the research had he known then that Dr Wakefield was at the time being paid for a study looking for evidence to support legal action by parents who thought their children had been damaged by the vaccine.
Dr Wakefield received £55,000 paid into his research fund by the Legal Aid Board.
The GMC receives about 3,500 complaints a year. If it finds that there is a case to answer, it can be referred to the Preliminary Proceedings Committee, which could opt for a full public hearing.
Life & Style blogs
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
Scottish salmon sales leap as Asia develops a taste
Grim second life of the 'breastaurant': The oft-loathed sector is booming in the States thanks to Hooters, Twin Peaks and Tilted Kilt
Health: When masturbation can be fatal: The practice of auto-erotic asphyxia is often concealed by a coroner's verdict. Monique Roffey looks at a lethal taboo
- 1 President of Argentina adopts Jewish godson to 'stop him turning into a werewolf'
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 3 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 4 AirAsia flight QZ8501 missing: Plane carrying 162 passengers from Indonesia to Singapore disappears over Java Sea
- 5 Naomi Wolf reacts to Isis 'conspiracy theories' critism after she questions whether beheading videos are real
£20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Panel Wireman required for small electro...
£25000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An SME based in East Cheshire, ...
£18000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Do you have previous experience...
£16000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...