What to expect from an eye test
Tuesday 19 August 1997
Checking sight: reading letters and colours on a chart
Checking the outer and inner eye by shining different lights
Checking the eye muscles
Working out a prescription if needed - looking at letters and colours through special lenses.
Extra tests may be needed for those at higher risk of eye diseases such as glaucoma, including anyone over 40, anyone with a close relative with eye disease, those of Afro-Caribbean origin, and diabetics. The extra tests involve:
A field of vision test, using patterns of lights
An eye pressure test, using eye drops or puffs of air
Dilating eye drops to check the back of the eye
Charges vary widely - the average is about pounds 16. Certain groups qualify for a free test, including the under-16s, those on income support and those with diabetes or glaucoma, or at high risk of eye disease.
For more information, call the Royal National Institute for the Blind on 0345 66 99 99.
Life & Style blogs
Movie pirate given almost 3 years in prison for filming Fast & Furious 6 in back of cinema
What is ALS and the Ice Bucket Challenge?
Mother fed her daughter tapeworms to make her skinny for pageant
Doctors tell Treasury of their anger at rejection of pay reviews
Tickets for Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show in London are not on ‘sale’
- 1 'Alien thigh bone' on Mars: Excitement from alien hunters at 'evidence' of extraterrestrial life
- 2 Mother fed her daughter tapeworms to make her skinny for pageant
- 3 Crystal Palace next manager latest: Palace consider Ally McCoist - EXCLUSIVE
- 4 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 5 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
£50000 - £60000 per annum: Harrington Starr: A world leading business intellig...
£40000 - £60000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Application Support Analyst-(UNIX...
£30000 - £50000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Application Support Analyst - SQL...
£40000 - £60000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Application Support - FIX protoco...