What to expect from an eye test
Tuesday 19 August 1997
Checking sight: reading letters and colours on a chart
Checking the outer and inner eye by shining different lights
Checking the eye muscles
Working out a prescription if needed - looking at letters and colours through special lenses.
Extra tests may be needed for those at higher risk of eye diseases such as glaucoma, including anyone over 40, anyone with a close relative with eye disease, those of Afro-Caribbean origin, and diabetics. The extra tests involve:
A field of vision test, using patterns of lights
An eye pressure test, using eye drops or puffs of air
Dilating eye drops to check the back of the eye
Charges vary widely - the average is about pounds 16. Certain groups qualify for a free test, including the under-16s, those on income support and those with diabetes or glaucoma, or at high risk of eye disease.
For more information, call the Royal National Institute for the Blind on 0345 66 99 99.
Olympic diver has made his modelling debut for Adidas
Life & Style blogs
iPhone 6 review: bigger, thinner, faster, brighter - Apple proves you can make the best better
iPhone 6 Plus review: more like a small iPad that makes calls - but perfect for some
Jennifer Lawrence nude pictures leaked: Reddit removes 'The Fappening' board dedicated to sharing naked pictures of celebrities
New urine test could replace invasive smear tests
Say yes to 'no-poo': It's been three years since I stopped washing my hair
- 1 iPhone 6 review: bigger, thinner, faster, brighter - Apple proves you can make the best better
- 2 Sports Direct security guard allegedly banned Jewish schoolboys and told them: 'No Jews, no Jews'
- 3 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained star's white boyfriend Brian Lucas confirms LAPD internally investigating 'racist' detainment
- 4 Pakistani passenger power forces two politicians off plane
- 5 Say yes to 'no-poo': It's been three years since I stopped washing my hair
£110 - £200 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Secondary Maths Teacher for spe...
£90 - £160 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Secondary Science Teacher (mater...
£110 - £200 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Secondary Maths Teacher for an ...
£22000 - £37000 per annum: Randstad Education Leeds: A West Yorkshire School i...