What to expect from an eye test
Tuesday 19 August 1997
Checking sight: reading letters and colours on a chart
Checking the outer and inner eye by shining different lights
Checking the eye muscles
Working out a prescription if needed - looking at letters and colours through special lenses.
Extra tests may be needed for those at higher risk of eye diseases such as glaucoma, including anyone over 40, anyone with a close relative with eye disease, those of Afro-Caribbean origin, and diabetics. The extra tests involve:
A field of vision test, using patterns of lights
An eye pressure test, using eye drops or puffs of air
Dilating eye drops to check the back of the eye
Charges vary widely - the average is about pounds 16. Certain groups qualify for a free test, including the under-16s, those on income support and those with diabetes or glaucoma, or at high risk of eye disease.
For more information, call the Royal National Institute for the Blind on 0345 66 99 99.
Life & Style blogs
Childcare 'not just a women's issue,' says shadow minister as she sets out her 'dadifesto'
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
Scottish salmon sales leap as Asia develops a taste
Grim second life of the 'breastaurant': The oft-loathed sector is booming in the States thanks to Hooters, Twin Peaks and Tilted Kilt
Health: When masturbation can be fatal: The practice of auto-erotic asphyxia is often concealed by a coroner's verdict. Monique Roffey looks at a lethal taboo
- 1 President of Argentina adopts Jewish godson to 'stop him turning into a werewolf'
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 3 Stoke-on-Trent becomes first British city to be classified as 'disaster resilient' by the United Nations
- 4 Sir Winston Churchill’s family begged him not to convert to Islam, letter reveals
- 5 AirAsia flight QZ8501 missing: Search for plane carrying 162 passengers from Indonesia to Singapore suspended overnight
£32000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Business Manager is required ...
£45000 - £55000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Panel Wireman required for small electro...
£25000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An SME based in East Cheshire, ...