Holiday shopping can be a pain in the neck, literally
Thursday 04 November 2010
Holiday season is ramping up, and with all that good cheer come crowds, long lines, and heavy bags to carry. But a few simple tips can help spare your body from the burden.
On November 3, the American Chiropractic Association issued a news release with the following tips to help you avoid muscle cramps, neck stiffness, and back pain while tackling the holiday rush.
First, dress the part. If you're planning to spend the day shopping or strolling around town checking out the holiday displays, wear comfortable, supportive shoes - not high heels. Also, leave the heavy purse at home and opt to tote only the bare essentials. Backpacks are better for your back and neck than over-the-shoulder bags, experts say.
To avoid back and leg pain while standing in long lines (while not drawing attention to yourself), follow these tips:
- Spread your toes out as wide as you can and hold for a few seconds and then bring them back to neutral.
- Bend your knees a little bit, just 5 to 10 degrees, and then straighten them.
- Tighten the muscles in your thighs and bottom and hold for 5 seconds and then release.
- Take pressure of the lower back by doing a subtle pelvic tilt.
- Roll your shoulders backwards several times and then push your shoulder blades together to stretch out your chest.
- In addition to stretching, shift your weight and alter your stance every 3 to 5 minutes to give your body a postural break.
To learn more simple holiday-health solutions, visit http://www.acatoday.org/12Days/
As anti-Semitic attacks rise, Grant Feller re-evaluates his identity
Savoury patisserie is a thing now
Meet the primary school where every day is National Poetry Day
Kirstie Allsopp has waded into the female fertility debate again
...and it wasn't caused by an asteroid crash, as first thought
Gillian Anderson lays into gender disparity in Hollywood
Striker ignored Brendan Rodger's request to applaud audience
Life & Style blogs
An app for the amorous: Could Good2Go end disputes about sexual consent - without being a passion-killer?
Windows 10 release: Microsoft bypasses 'Windows 9' with new operating system
The Fappening: After the third wave of leaked celebrity photos, why can't we stop it?
Stoptober: How I stopped smoking for good
Couples who gush about each other are the 'most annoying' Facebook users
- 1 Snoop Dogg and Jared Leto buy a stake in Reddit as A-list invests $50m
- 2 Prince held a Facebook Q&A and this is the only question he answered...
- 3 35,000 walrus gather on north-west Alaska beach 'for a rest'
- 4 Brad Pitt, on the moment he completely lost his temper with Clint Eastwood's son
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- < Previous
- Next >
£35000 - £40000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client, a prog...
Highly Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: A rare high quality opportunity for a...
£45 - £50 per day: Randstad Education Group: Job opportunities for SEN Teachin...
£21000 - £35000 per annum: Randstad Education Cambridge: Secondary teachers re...