How immunotherapy works
Thursday 19 June 2008
* Cancer immunotherapy is the technique of harnessing the body's immune system to attack the cancer.
* The immune system normally responds to threats to the body by distinguishing between itself and foreign invaders.
* In the case of cancer, this is difficult because most tumours consist of the body's own cells growing out of control.
* However, many cancer cells display unusual antigens or receptors on their surface that allows them to be identified.
* Antibodies and cancer vaccines to stimulate the immune system are being developed to attack these tumour cells.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 The difference between a migrant and refugee, in one sentence
- 2 Miley Cyrus calls out hypocrisy of women’s nipples being taboo
- 3 Celebrity Big Brother 2015: Tila Tequila kicked off show after 'describing Hitler as a good man'
- 4 Watch the Supermoon live: How to see the brightest Moon of the year tonight
- 5 iPhone 5c to be discontinued, no iPhone 6c to replace it
£18000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Sales Executive or Senior Sal...
£40000 - £55000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This industry leading company produces h...
£20000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This IT provider for the educat...