How to meditate for World Healing Day
Friday 23 April 2010
April 24 is World Healing Day, plus Adam Yauch and Yoko Ono are meditating twice daily for world health. If meditation is new for you, try these tips and places for group meditation.
MeditationGeek, a user-friendly meditation blog, recommends these simple steps for meditating:
Step 1: Stabilize your mind
Step 2: Identify [health issue, personal health area].
Step 3: Focus your mind to [health issue, personal health area].
Step 4: Notice changes, sensations.
Step 5: If your mind wanders, gently bring your mind back to the object of your meditation, which is a focused awareness on pain.
Mind stabilization can be achieved with mindfulness meditation, described as "a simple mental exercise, which develops mindfulness and concentration by paying attention on a chosen object (for example, taste of food or activity you wish to focus on) and holding the attention for a period of time. Mindfulness meditation does not necessarily require sitting but can be practiced while eating, walking, running, commuting, and doing other activities. This mental exercise also helps develop an ability to sustain mindfulness for prolonged time."
Here are helpful tips for quieting an unquiet mind:
- Meditate for only one minute (gradually move to 2,3,4... minutes)
- Use a timer to remind you of an end of a meditation session.
- Instead of trying to stop, welcome it whatever arises.
- If you cannot concentrate on the object of your meditation, pay attention to the thoughts and stories occurring in your mind instead.
- If you cannot meditate while sitting, meditate while eating, talking, running, etc.
- Discuss your problem with a mentor, teacher or experienced meditator.
- Practice meditation in a group (or join a retreat).
If you are interested in finding a meditation group, Shambhala, a meditation and spiritual center for Tibetan Buddhist-seekers and non-Buddhists, offers free meditation sessions with over 170 centers around the world: http://www.shambhala.org/centers/
The Chopra Center in California and New York also offers twice daily complimentary meditation sessions, for more information and location and times: http://www.chopracenterny.com/
Life & Style blogs
Winter crisis in A&E: Hospitals declare 'black alerts' as admissions shatter records, but full stats still unpublished
Unpaid make-up artists reveal the ugly side of Miss World
Bill Granger recipes: Tenderstem broccoli omelette; Fried eggs with Mexican-style tomato and chilli sauce; Pan-fried cavolo nero with soft-boiled egg
Google launches 'Contributor' payment service for ad-free internet browsing
When is a wine made in Piedmont not a Piemonte wine? When EU rules make Italian vineyards invisible
- 1 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 2 Tower Bridge glass walkway 'smashed' by night-time visitor dropping bottle of beer
- 3 Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: CORPORATE - Corporate Solicitor NQ+ An excelle...
Voluntary Only - Expenses Reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: A trustee (company d...
£45000 - £65000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join a successful an...