How to meditate for World Healing Day
Friday 23 April 2010
April 24 is World Healing Day, plus Adam Yauch and Yoko Ono are meditating twice daily for world health. If meditation is new for you, try these tips and places for group meditation.
MeditationGeek, a user-friendly meditation blog, recommends these simple steps for meditating:
Step 1: Stabilize your mind
Step 2: Identify [health issue, personal health area].
Step 3: Focus your mind to [health issue, personal health area].
Step 4: Notice changes, sensations.
Step 5: If your mind wanders, gently bring your mind back to the object of your meditation, which is a focused awareness on pain.
Mind stabilization can be achieved with mindfulness meditation, described as "a simple mental exercise, which develops mindfulness and concentration by paying attention on a chosen object (for example, taste of food or activity you wish to focus on) and holding the attention for a period of time. Mindfulness meditation does not necessarily require sitting but can be practiced while eating, walking, running, commuting, and doing other activities. This mental exercise also helps develop an ability to sustain mindfulness for prolonged time."
Here are helpful tips for quieting an unquiet mind:
- Meditate for only one minute (gradually move to 2,3,4... minutes)
- Use a timer to remind you of an end of a meditation session.
- Instead of trying to stop, welcome it whatever arises.
- If you cannot concentrate on the object of your meditation, pay attention to the thoughts and stories occurring in your mind instead.
- If you cannot meditate while sitting, meditate while eating, talking, running, etc.
- Discuss your problem with a mentor, teacher or experienced meditator.
- Practice meditation in a group (or join a retreat).
If you are interested in finding a meditation group, Shambhala, a meditation and spiritual center for Tibetan Buddhist-seekers and non-Buddhists, offers free meditation sessions with over 170 centers around the world: http://www.shambhala.org/centers/
The Chopra Center in California and New York also offers twice daily complimentary meditation sessions, for more information and location and times: http://www.chopracenterny.com/
Life & Style blogs
Miley Cyrus' VMA outfits spark copying controversy
Huawei Mate S and Huawei Watch: new products take on iPhone 6 Plus and Apple Watch
What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
Overly-controlling parents cause their children lifelong psychological damage, says study
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
- 3 Make your voice heard: Sign The Independent's petition to welcome refugees
- 4 Refugee crisis: Aylan's life was full of fear - in death, he is part of 'humanity washed ashore'
- 5 German police forced to ask public to stop bringing donations for refugees arriving by train
£35000 - £45000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company produces a wide ra...
£22000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Established and expanding South...
£14000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An exciting opportunity to join a thrivi...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Uncapped OTE: SThree: Trainee Recruitment Consulta...