How to meditate for World Healing Day
Friday 23 April 2010
April 24 is World Healing Day, plus Adam Yauch and Yoko Ono are meditating twice daily for world health. If meditation is new for you, try these tips and places for group meditation.
MeditationGeek, a user-friendly meditation blog, recommends these simple steps for meditating:
Step 1: Stabilize your mind
Step 2: Identify [health issue, personal health area].
Step 3: Focus your mind to [health issue, personal health area].
Step 4: Notice changes, sensations.
Step 5: If your mind wanders, gently bring your mind back to the object of your meditation, which is a focused awareness on pain.
Mind stabilization can be achieved with mindfulness meditation, described as "a simple mental exercise, which develops mindfulness and concentration by paying attention on a chosen object (for example, taste of food or activity you wish to focus on) and holding the attention for a period of time. Mindfulness meditation does not necessarily require sitting but can be practiced while eating, walking, running, commuting, and doing other activities. This mental exercise also helps develop an ability to sustain mindfulness for prolonged time."
Here are helpful tips for quieting an unquiet mind:
- Meditate for only one minute (gradually move to 2,3,4... minutes)
- Use a timer to remind you of an end of a meditation session.
- Instead of trying to stop, welcome it whatever arises.
- If you cannot concentrate on the object of your meditation, pay attention to the thoughts and stories occurring in your mind instead.
- If you cannot meditate while sitting, meditate while eating, talking, running, etc.
- Discuss your problem with a mentor, teacher or experienced meditator.
- Practice meditation in a group (or join a retreat).
If you are interested in finding a meditation group, Shambhala, a meditation and spiritual center for Tibetan Buddhist-seekers and non-Buddhists, offers free meditation sessions with over 170 centers around the world: http://www.shambhala.org/centers/
The Chopra Center in California and New York also offers twice daily complimentary meditation sessions, for more information and location and times: http://www.chopracenterny.com/
Emergency call 'started off dumb, but got pretty serious'
Britain First criticised for using actress's memory to draw attention to their 'hate-filled home page'
Thought you'd seen it all after the Jeremy Paxman interview?
Greatest mystery about the hit BBC1 show is how it continues to be made at all, writes Grace Dent
"History is violent," says the US Army tank commander Don "Wardaddy" Collier
Animal welfare charities have urged the boy band to cut the scenes
Argentinian scored 'rabona' wonder goal for Tottenham in Europa League – see it here
Life & Style blogs
Ebola outbreak: Virus to kill 67,000 in Monrovia by December, claims academic study
Nokia no more: Microsoft drops once-ubiquitous mobile name – in favour of its Lumia brand
Ebola: NYC doctor Craig Spencer tests positive for disease after returning from west Africa
Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
What do the text messages between you and your partner reveal about your relationship?
- 1 This 'woman calls police to order pizza' story isn't going where you're expecting
- 2 Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
- 3 Jimmy Carr's controversial Oscar Pistorius joke goes a bit too far at the Q Awards
- 4 Ottawa shootings: Bruce MacKinnon's cartoon is the perfect tribute to soldier Nathan Cirillo
- 5 Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
£350 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client based in Reading are...
Highly Attractive Package: Austen Lloyd: A VERY HIGH QUALITY FIRM - A high q...
competitive + bonus + benefits: Sauce Recruitment: Are you the king or Queen o...
£10 per hour: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Are you an experienced note taker...