How to select springtime fruits and vegetables
Tuesday 30 March 2010
The greatest food trends right now involve seasonal eating and fresh farm-to-table ingredients; spring is an exciting time to create fresh simple recipes by looking to your garden or local fresh markets.
It is important to know how to select the best spring and local ingredients, namely foods that are ripe for eating during March, April and May in the Northern hemisphere. Various sites and blogs including YumSugar, Food+Wine and Ceres Secrets, offer guides, recipes and know-how for making healthy spring meals.
Ceres Secrets, a seasonal food blog, offers a guide to help determine the best time to purchase your produce:
Available during early spring
Baby lettuce mixes
Garden peas/Petit pois
New potatoes and then other varieties
Sugar snap peas
Available during mid-spring
Green onions, vidalias & other varieties
Available during late spring
YumSugar, a food community blog, has a short ten-question quiz to test your spring produce IQ: http://www.yumsugar.com/Do-You-Know-Spring-Produce-7721587
Also Food+Wine, a respected food and wine magazine and site, has 100+ recipes for your spring produce: http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/spring-produce
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Tidal launch: The most pretentious lines from Alicia Keys' valedictory speech
- 2 Britain First 'acting like Ukip henchmen' by invading meeting of activists in revenge for pub protest against Nigel Farage
- 3 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 4 Tidal: Jay Z's Spotify rival streaming service criticised for making wealthy artists even richer
- 5 Brixton squat flats now costing up to £3k per month show how out of control rent is in London
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This leading supplier of compliance software a...
£24000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Associate System Engineer r...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: An Executive Assistant is required to join a l...
£45000 - £50000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: A highly successful, glo...