How to shovel snow without breaking your back
Saturday 05 February 2011
When a heavy snowstorm has you reaching for the shovel, a few tips can save your back, neck, and shoulders from injury.
On February 1, the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons issued a few health-minded tips for tackling snowy conditions. "Shoveling snow involves a lot of bending and heavy lifting, particularly in wet, heavy snow," said Michael F. Schafer, MD, orthopaedic surgeon at Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago. "It may be especially vigorous for people who do not regularly exercise, as their backs, shoulder and arm muscles may not be prepared for that level of activity."
A few tips to follow when shoveling snow:
- Clear snow early and often. Begin when a light covering of snow is on the ground to avoid trying to clear packed, heavy snow.
- Use a shovel that is comfortable for your height and strength. Do not use a shovel that is too heavy or too long for you. Consider buying a shovel that is specially designed to prevent too much stooping. Space your hands on the tool grip to increase your leverage.
- Push the snow instead of lifting it. If you must lift, take small amounts of snow, and lift it with your legs: Squat with your legs apart, knees bent and back straight. Lift by straightening your legs, without bending at the waist. Then walk to where you want to dump the snow; holding a shovelful of snow with your arms outstretched puts too much weight on your spine.
- Do not throw the snow over your shoulder or to the side. This requires a twisting motion that stresses your back.
New York-based fitness website Fitness Contrarian recommends trying out a few lightweight shovels at your local hardware store to see what feels best for you. Also, let the shovel do the work for you, and shovel snow in small scoops to avoid straining your back. Keep your back straight and avoid rounding or slumping when doing the work.
Read more tips on shoveling the safe way: http://www.fitnesscontrarian.com/snow-shoveling-tips-avoid-back-and-elbow-pain/
More advice on an injury-free winter: http://www6.aaos.org/news/pemr/releases/release.cfm?releasenum=942
Watch videos on strain-free shoveling techniques:
Life & Style blogs
Wii U to beat Xbox One and PS4 at Christmas says Play.com,
Britain's poor 'will die before they retire' if pension reforms aren't matched by health improvements
The 10 Best Scotch Whiskies
Ron Wayne: The Apple founder who missed out on a fortune
eBay XBox One scam: Dad pays £450 for a picture of the console
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
Negotiable: Harrington Starr: QA Manual Tester FX Trading Platform/Derivative...
£34999 - £43001 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: A Top 10 firm in ...
£40000 - £60000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C++ Software E...
£45000 - £65000 per annum + Bonus + 28 days holiday: Harrington Starr: Java In...