Improve your game with more sleep, study suggests
Monday 04 July 2011
Want better performance during your workouts? Make quality time with your pillow, suggest findings from a new sleep study announced July 1.
US researchers from Stanford University evaluated the sleep patterns of the university's male basketball team and studied how sleep affected the athletes' performance. The team was asked to sleep for 10 hours a night for about six weeks, and as a result, their shooting accuracy improved by 9 percent and they ran faster 282-foot sprints by .7 seconds. The study was published in the journal Sleep.
"Sleep is an important factor in peak athletic performance," said lead researcher Cheri Mah in a statement. "Athletes may be able to optimize training and competition outcomes by identifying strategies to maximize the benefits of sleep." She adds that it's important for serious athletes and trainers to prioritize sleep over a long period of time, not just the night before the big game.
Mah has led prior studies on athletes and sleep, including one released in 2009 that found that when the Stanford women's tennis team snoozed for 10 hours a night, they improved their serve and overall hitting accuracy.
Want to improve your athletic performance? The researchers offer these tips to maximize your sleep:
• Make sleep a part of your regular training regimen.
• Extend nightly sleep for several weeks to reduce your overall "sleep debt" before a competition.
• Maintain a low sleep debt by obtaining a sufficient amount of sleep every night (seven to eight hours for adults, nine or more hours for teens and young adults).
• Keep a regular schedule - go to bed and wake up at the same times every day.
• Take brief naps during the day, especially if drowsy.
Access more information on the study: http://med.stanford.edu/ism/2011/july/sleep.html
Liam Neeson's Downton dreams
Thriller is set in the secret world of British espionage
Life & Style blogs
Hipster hate is everywhere - but is there a little bit of them in all of us?
Jennifer Lawrence nude pictures leaked: Reddit removes 'The Fappening' board dedicated to sharing naked pictures of celebrities
There is literally not a single woman in this iPhone 6 queue
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
iOS 8: how to free up memory on your iPhone or iPad to install the update
- 1 Mario Balotelli: Staff at arson-hit Manchester Dogs' Home convinced Liverpool striker is behind five-figure donation
- 2 Scottish independence live: Scotland gives a clear 'No' in historic referendum - as it happened
- 3 iOS 8 is full of shiny new features - but it's terrible news for app developers
- 4 Friends 20th anniversary: Six things we wouldn't have without influential comedy series
- 5 Scottish independence: Tory revolt against 'devo max' grows as Rail Minister Claire Perry joins
£400 - £450 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: **URGENT CONTRACT ROLE**...
£6720 - £33600 per annum: Randstad Education Nottingham: Randstad Eduction are...
£90 - £120 per day: Randstad Education Leicester: Are you a Teacher looking fo...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Leicester: Are you a Newly Qualified Teacher lo...