Improve your game with more sleep, study suggests
Monday 04 July 2011
Want better performance during your workouts? Make quality time with your pillow, suggest findings from a new sleep study announced July 1.
US researchers from Stanford University evaluated the sleep patterns of the university's male basketball team and studied how sleep affected the athletes' performance. The team was asked to sleep for 10 hours a night for about six weeks, and as a result, their shooting accuracy improved by 9 percent and they ran faster 282-foot sprints by .7 seconds. The study was published in the journal Sleep.
"Sleep is an important factor in peak athletic performance," said lead researcher Cheri Mah in a statement. "Athletes may be able to optimize training and competition outcomes by identifying strategies to maximize the benefits of sleep." She adds that it's important for serious athletes and trainers to prioritize sleep over a long period of time, not just the night before the big game.
Mah has led prior studies on athletes and sleep, including one released in 2009 that found that when the Stanford women's tennis team snoozed for 10 hours a night, they improved their serve and overall hitting accuracy.
Want to improve your athletic performance? The researchers offer these tips to maximize your sleep:
• Make sleep a part of your regular training regimen.
• Extend nightly sleep for several weeks to reduce your overall "sleep debt" before a competition.
• Maintain a low sleep debt by obtaining a sufficient amount of sleep every night (seven to eight hours for adults, nine or more hours for teens and young adults).
• Keep a regular schedule - go to bed and wake up at the same times every day.
• Take brief naps during the day, especially if drowsy.
Access more information on the study: http://med.stanford.edu/ism/2011/july/sleep.html
Life & Style blogs
Alexander McQueen at auction: What makes a really great piece of fashion?
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
No female ejaculation, please, we’re British: a history of porn and censorship
Stressed nurses are 'forced to choose between health of patients and their own'
Pornhub: Kim Kardashian's sex tape is the most-watched porn video of all-time
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: Exeter - An excellent opportunity for a Solici...
£17000 - £20000 per annum: Ashdown Group: IT Helpdesk Support Technician - 12 ...
£28000 - £32000 per annum + pension + holidays: The Jenrick Group: Maintenance...
£30000 - £38000 per annum + pesion + holidays: The Jenrick Group: World Wide S...