Improve your game with more sleep, study suggests
Monday 04 July 2011
Want better performance during your workouts? Make quality time with your pillow, suggest findings from a new sleep study announced July 1.
US researchers from Stanford University evaluated the sleep patterns of the university's male basketball team and studied how sleep affected the athletes' performance. The team was asked to sleep for 10 hours a night for about six weeks, and as a result, their shooting accuracy improved by 9 percent and they ran faster 282-foot sprints by .7 seconds. The study was published in the journal Sleep.
"Sleep is an important factor in peak athletic performance," said lead researcher Cheri Mah in a statement. "Athletes may be able to optimize training and competition outcomes by identifying strategies to maximize the benefits of sleep." She adds that it's important for serious athletes and trainers to prioritize sleep over a long period of time, not just the night before the big game.
Mah has led prior studies on athletes and sleep, including one released in 2009 that found that when the Stanford women's tennis team snoozed for 10 hours a night, they improved their serve and overall hitting accuracy.
Want to improve your athletic performance? The researchers offer these tips to maximize your sleep:
• Make sleep a part of your regular training regimen.
• Extend nightly sleep for several weeks to reduce your overall "sleep debt" before a competition.
• Maintain a low sleep debt by obtaining a sufficient amount of sleep every night (seven to eight hours for adults, nine or more hours for teens and young adults).
• Keep a regular schedule - go to bed and wake up at the same times every day.
• Take brief naps during the day, especially if drowsy.
Access more information on the study: http://med.stanford.edu/ism/2011/july/sleep.html
Life & Style blogs
How old is your heart? US research finds three out of four people have hearts five years older than their actual age
iPhone 6s Plus photos: leaks show Force Touch display, subtly altered size
Huawei Mate S and Huawei Watch: new products take on iPhone 6 Plus and Apple Watch
Pansexual: What is it - and when did the term gain popularity?
How to discover who your best friends are on WhatsApp - using a tool within the application
- 1 Huawei Mate S and Huawei Watch: new products take on iPhone 6 Plus and Apple Watch
- 2 More than 11,000 Icelanders offer to house Syrian refugees to help European crisis
- 3 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 4 Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
- 5 German police forced to ask public to stop bringing donations for refugees arriving by train
£15000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An Inbound Sales Executive is required t...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE 40/45k + INCENTIVES + BENEFITS: SThree: The su...
£18000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity...
£18000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity...