Kate and Pippa serving as 'thin-spiration' on pro-anorexia blogs
Tuesday 19 July 2011
Chances are you already know about the Middleton sisters' ability to make clothes they wear sell out in no time, but their shrinking frames are a source of inspiration, too: pictures of them are used to promote eating disorders, reports
According to the article, pro-anorexia and pro-bulimia blogs are posting photos of their ever-thinning bodies and visible collarbones - Kate's wasp waist during her and Prince William's North American tour has been an especially popular topic - to help their readers lose weight and stay thin.
Thin-spiration sites aren't new and almost impossible to control, but what is particularly dangerous about this new development is that while their usual photos are of style icons such as Victoria Beckham or Mary-Kate Olsen as well as fashion models, Kate and Pippa serve as role models, too.
"Every little girl at one time wants to be a princess, and these images will not only reach teenagers but middle and elementary schoolers," said Jill M. Pollack, director of the Center for the Study of Anorexia and Bulimia.
British tabloids have suggested Kate currently weighs a mere 95 pounds, but no matter the reason behind her newly tiny frame - be it working out, dieting, or the stress surrounding her wedding - fuel has been added to the debate that her destiny could turn out as that of her husband's mother after all: Princess Diana is known to have struggled with bulimia all her life.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'sees no problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 'Alien thigh bone' on Mars: Excitement from alien hunters at 'evidence' of extraterrestrial life
- 3 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 4 London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
- 5 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
£30000 - £50000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Junior Quant Analyst - C++, Boost...
£30000 - £50000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Junior Quant Analyst (Machine Lea...
£45000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: SQL Developer (TSQL, S...