Let’s get physical at the White House
Wednesday 26 May 2010
US First Lady Michelle Obama launched her summer fitness campaign on the South Lawn at the White House on May 26 by inviting 84 local children aged 8-10 to get physical with obstacle courses.
The message for American children is "Let's Move" and make sure to get some sort of physical activity for sixty minutes daily.
According to the political blog HuffingtonPost.com, Mrs. Obama told the children, "What I want you guys to do is to make a commitment that you will do your best to get that 60 minutes in every single day. Will you promise me that?"
In the United States and Europe childhood obesity is an epidemic with one in three American children overweight and half of the European population in battling the bulge.
Mrs. Obama is leading the fight and will continue to host fitness events all summer on the South Lawn encouraging children to move more with the help of some local superstar athletes from DC teams including, "the Redskins, Capitals, Nationals, Wizards and Mystics".
For more information on the Let's Move initiative, visit: http://www.letsmove.gov and to see how European nations are changing policies to help shed their collective kilos by 5-10%, go to: http://www.obesityday.eu.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Game of Thrones author George RR Martin says 'f*** you' to fans who fear he will die before finishing Westeros saga
- 2 Question Time's 'passionate highlander' is the William Wallace of the Better Together campaign
- 3 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
- 4 Tony Abbott embarrasses Australia by praising Japanese WWII military, ‘getting on the sake’ and posing for ‘crotch-shot’ photo opportunity
- 5 The true Gaza back-story that the Israelis aren’t telling this week
competitive: Progressive Recruitment: My client, a FTSE 100 organisation are u...
£300 - £350 per day + competitive: Orgtel: My client, a leading bank, is curre...
£33000 per annum + pension, 25 days holiday: Ashdown Group: A highly successfu...
£28000 - £32000 per annum + pension, 25 days holiday: Ashdown Group: A highly ...