Light a candle for AIDS awareness
Friday 14 May 2010
The 27th Annual International AIDS Candlelight Memorial Day celebrated on May 16 is the largest grassroots movement against the disease that creates awareness and hope with a single gesture: light a candle.
Over 1,200 community organizations in 115 countries will host local memorials to honor those that lost the fight and raise awareness about AIDS. "33 million people living with HIV today, the Candlelight continues to serve as an important intervention for global solidarity, breaking down barriers, and giving hope to new generations."
This year's message is "Many Lights for Human Rights" and the initiative has individuals and organizations dedicating virtual candles globally from Eritrea to Russia and tweeting messages to get involved like:
"Commemorate the lives of those lost and affected by AIDS by using #AIDSCandlelight from now until Sunday" - PATHtweets, May 14
"How Will You Remember Those Lost to AIDS?" - DukeGHI, May 14
To find out what is taking place in your area or to dedicate a virtual candle, go to: http://www.candlelightmemorial.org
Life & Style blogs
Kanye West's Yeezy Boost trainers: All you need to know ahead of the UK launch
How Stephen Hawking is still alive, defying ALS and the worst expectations
The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
Brit Awards 2015: Red carpet round up, from Paloma Faith to Ed Sheeran
- 1 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 2 Husband and wife die holding hands within hours of each other after 67 years of marriage
- 3 What color is The Dress, white and gold or blue and black? An eyewitness gives a definitive answer
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 Madonna claims jokes about her age tantamount to racism: 'No one would dare to say a degrading remark about being black'
salary equal to £40K pro-rata: Sauce Recruitment: Are you available to start a...
£35000 - £40000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Creative Front-End Developer - Claph...
£18000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The role in this successful eco...
£28000 - £30000 per annum: Ashdown Group: QA Tester - London - £30,000 QA Tes...