Light a candle for AIDS awareness
Friday 14 May 2010
The 27th Annual International AIDS Candlelight Memorial Day celebrated on May 16 is the largest grassroots movement against the disease that creates awareness and hope with a single gesture: light a candle.
Over 1,200 community organizations in 115 countries will host local memorials to honor those that lost the fight and raise awareness about AIDS. "33 million people living with HIV today, the Candlelight continues to serve as an important intervention for global solidarity, breaking down barriers, and giving hope to new generations."
This year's message is "Many Lights for Human Rights" and the initiative has individuals and organizations dedicating virtual candles globally from Eritrea to Russia and tweeting messages to get involved like:
"Commemorate the lives of those lost and affected by AIDS by using #AIDSCandlelight from now until Sunday" - PATHtweets, May 14
"How Will You Remember Those Lost to AIDS?" - DukeGHI, May 14
To find out what is taking place in your area or to dedicate a virtual candle, go to: http://www.candlelightmemorial.org
Life & Style blogs
New £3 pill that will help stop you drinking too much available on the NHS
Dame Vivienne Westwood: The former Queen of Punk may now be an establishment pillar, but her work is still controversial – and much copied
Revealed: Lidl’s £4 perfume smells identical to Chanel’s £70 scent - but the difference is in the bottle
Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
Coke milk? Coca-Cola to launch premium milk brand called Fairlife
- 1 I'm A Celebrity 2014: Jungle security stepped up after murder and 'suspicious death' near to camp
- 2 Black Friday 2014: Opening times for Asda, John Lewis, PC World, GAME and Argos
- 3 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 4 Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
- 5 Jeremy Hunt: 'I took my children to A&E because I didn't want to wait for GP appointment'
Negotiable: Argyll Scott International: Senior Business Analyst - Insurance ...
£25000 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This independent, growing Sales...
£16000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Multi-skilled graphic designer ...
£30000 - £50000 per annum + EXCELLENT: Austen Lloyd: Court of Protection Solic...