Light a candle for AIDS awareness
Friday 14 May 2010
The 27th Annual International AIDS Candlelight Memorial Day celebrated on May 16 is the largest grassroots movement against the disease that creates awareness and hope with a single gesture: light a candle.
Over 1,200 community organizations in 115 countries will host local memorials to honor those that lost the fight and raise awareness about AIDS. "33 million people living with HIV today, the Candlelight continues to serve as an important intervention for global solidarity, breaking down barriers, and giving hope to new generations."
This year's message is "Many Lights for Human Rights" and the initiative has individuals and organizations dedicating virtual candles globally from Eritrea to Russia and tweeting messages to get involved like:
"Commemorate the lives of those lost and affected by AIDS by using #AIDSCandlelight from now until Sunday" - PATHtweets, May 14
"How Will You Remember Those Lost to AIDS?" - DukeGHI, May 14
To find out what is taking place in your area or to dedicate a virtual candle, go to: http://www.candlelightmemorial.org
Life & Style blogs
- 1 All Blacks Aaron Cruden misses New Zealand flight after drinking session, has brilliant excuse
- 2 Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 3 'F*ck it, I quit': TV reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 4 Alicia Keys leaks nude photo 'to create a kinder and more peaceful world'
- 5 Clothes store Joy angers mental health campaigners with Twitter exchange on bipolar disorders
£300 - £350 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Pharmaceutical Computer ...
£70 - £90 per day: Randstad Education Birmingham: Higher Level Teaching Assist...
£50 - £80 per day: Randstad Education Birmingham: Randstad Education is the UK...
£400 - £450 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client is currently ...