Looking for a giver? Try a 'happy' Aussie or Kiwi
Monday 13 September 2010
On September 8, Charities Aid Foundation (CAF) utilizing Gallup's WorldView World Poll data ranked the most generous nations in the world and published the first "World Giving Index 2010".
Here are some highlights:
- Australia and New Zealand tied for first place.
- Ireland and Canada are in third place while the Swiss and Americans tie for fifth most generous nations
- The people of Malta (83%) give money to charity.
- Turkmenistan is home to the "most generous" volunteers 61% donate time to charity
- Liberians (76%) lend a helping hand to strangers.
- "Being happy is more of an influence on giving money to charity than being wealthy."
- "The most common way to give is to help a stranger."
- Bangladesh, Burundi, Cambodia, China, Greece, Jordan, Lithuania, Madagascar, Serbia and Ukraine are presently the least generous nations.
The "Gallup's WorldView World Poll (worldview.gallup.com) is an ongoing research project carried out in 153 countries that together represent around 95% of the world's population."
CAF used Gallup's data from March 2010 for the index and intend to update the index annually according to CAFOnline.org.
The surveys were conducted in-person and on the phone to determine if individuals have given money or time to an organization (political parties, registered charities, community organizations, places of worship) in the past month or aided a stranger.
If you are looking for reputable charities in your area to give to, take a look at: http://www.charitynavigator.org
The World Giving Index 2010: http://www.cafonline.org/PDF/World_Giving_Index_2010_A4.pdf
Life & Style blogs
Google Maps hides image of Android robot urinating on Apple in surprisingly insolent Easter egg
KickassTorrents down: new Isle of Man domain taken offline just hours after launch
Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
Blueprint Map: Can you guess the name of the city from its outline?
- 1 Migrant crisis: Greek soldier saved 20 people singlehandedly off Rhodes beach
- 2 Sofyen Belamouadden murder: The inside story of a crime that horrified Britain
- 3 UK weather: Britain braced for snow as arctic air mass moves in
- 5 'Isis' schoolgirls: Missing British teenager tweets picture of her Syrian takeaway
£29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Gas Installation Engineer is required ...
£15000 - £70000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a great opportunity to ...
£12 - £14 per hour: Recruitment Genius: We are looking for someone to join a s...
£15310 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An exciting opportunity has arisen for a...