New contraceptive gel in the works
Tuesday 26 October 2010
Birth control pills and patches may soon be replaced with a clear contraceptive gel. Simply rub a dab onto your skin - arms, legs, or abdomen - every day to prevent pregnancy. Best part: fewer side effects, researchers say.
Just 3 mg daily, applied to arms, legs, shoulders, or abdomen, was shown to be a suitable alternative to the pill, according to researchers, who tested the gel on 18 women.
Common pill side effects such as nausea and weight gain didn't occur in the test group, and researchers reported that the gel can even be used while breastfeeding.
Similar to the contraceptive patch, the gel provides progesterone and estrogen through the skin. But unlike the patch, it can't fall off and, of course, is invisible. Plus, it could avoid potential skin irritation and dirt buildup that comes with a weeklong adhesive like the patch.
The gel was developed in conjunction with the drug company Antares Pharma, which hopes to market the product if the clinical trial results continue to be positive.
Also in the pipeline is a contraceptive spray developed by Australia biotech company Acrux. The spray (a so-far unnamed product) showed positive results in early clinical trials, although more work is needed before it becomes available. And like the gel, it can be used while breastfeeding.
Stay tuned to the companies' websites for more information:
Life & Style blogs
- 1 'Cheeky' Nando's under fire for apparently coming onto a customer on Twitter
- 2 Saudi Arabia mosque bombing: Two volunteer security guards hailed as heroes for stopping Isis suicide bomber reaching worshippers
- 3 Playboy model April Summers speaks out about being a victim of revenge porn
- 4 There is something wrong but very right about this Bible illustration
- 5 iPhone 'effective power' text: how to be safe from iOS bug that lets people crash your phone
£16500 - £18500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the leading Mercedes-Ben...
£27500 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£19500 - £23500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Experienced B2B Telemarketer wa...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This global company are looking for two Showro...