New social network lets you bond over gastrointestinal bacteria
Monday 12 September 2011
A new social network launched Thursday offers a one-of-a-kind niche: gastrointestinal issues.
A German nonprofit called MyMicrobes is hoping you'll want to have your gastrointestinal bacteria's genomes sequenced for the price of about €1,500, a fee which grants you access to their social network.
Peer Bork, a biochemist at the European Molecular Biology Laboratory in Heidelberg, Germany, is behind the project, which aims to gather meaningful data via its social network. To achieve this, MyMicrobes reports it will need to grow to at least 5,000 participants.
Bork said in an interview with the journal Nature that the actual cost of sequencing the gut genome is pricey, about €2,000 per person. Participants are asked to contribute some of that cost, plus shipping.
If you'd like to sequence some genomes without breaking the bank, genomic company 23andMe offers a testing kit to analyze your DNA and gain insight to your risk factors for certain diseases. Price is $99.
Life & Style blogs
Holocaust Memorial Day: 70 years since Auschwitz liberation, these are the stories of survivors
Double chins could be 'cured' without surgery or dieting using new injection
Does the path to true love really lie in these 36 questions?
Hershey's angers US chocolate purists by forcing company to stop importing 'yummy' Cadbury bars
Food secrets: the good, the bad...and the faeces
- 1 King Salman: Just five days in, Saudi Arabia's new king has already overseen a beheading
- 2 The BBC has just done more to eradicate ‘terrorism’ than all our wars since 9/11
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Presidential optical illusion offers clues to how brain processes faces
- 5 Grumpy Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' rediscovered after 35 years
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Front End Web Developer is re...
£250 - £300 per day: Investigo: Growing international marketing business requi...
£18000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An ORM Consultant is required t...
£21000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This leading provider of educat...