New social network lets you bond over gastrointestinal bacteria
Monday 12 September 2011
A new social network launched Thursday offers a one-of-a-kind niche: gastrointestinal issues.
A German nonprofit called MyMicrobes is hoping you'll want to have your gastrointestinal bacteria's genomes sequenced for the price of about €1,500, a fee which grants you access to their social network.
Peer Bork, a biochemist at the European Molecular Biology Laboratory in Heidelberg, Germany, is behind the project, which aims to gather meaningful data via its social network. To achieve this, MyMicrobes reports it will need to grow to at least 5,000 participants.
Bork said in an interview with the journal Nature that the actual cost of sequencing the gut genome is pricey, about €2,000 per person. Participants are asked to contribute some of that cost, plus shipping.
If you'd like to sequence some genomes without breaking the bank, genomic company 23andMe offers a testing kit to analyze your DNA and gain insight to your risk factors for certain diseases. Price is $99.
Life & Style blogs
Kanye West's Yeezy Boost trainers: All you need to know ahead of the UK launch
Majority of UK women don't bathe or take a shower daily
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
Brit Awards 2015: Red carpet round up, from Paloma Faith to Ed Sheeran
The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 1 Scarlett Johansson new band 'already hit with legal complaint' from another The Singles
- 2 Husband and wife die holding hands within hours of each other after 67 years of marriage
- 3 What colour is The Dress, white and gold or blue and black? An eyewitness gives a definitive answer
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity for a Ne...
Excellent Package: Austen Lloyd: A very rare high level opportunity with a fir...
£30000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This distributor of electronics...
£18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Our client has a number of different bus...