Nine ways to avoid bringing carcinogens home
Tuesday 06 July 2010
On July 5, the Environmental Working Group (EWG) responded to the US President's Cancer Panel's (PCP) May findings that American "public officials have ‘grossly underestimated' the likelihood that environmental contaminants trigger a large proportion of the cancers diagnosed," by recommending nine ways to avoid environmental carcinogens.
Ken Cook, president of EWG, said in the announcement, "consumers can't wait for the government to take action or for companies to act responsibly by removing carcinogens from their products."
Here are nine tips to reduce your exposure:
1. Filter your tap water: http://www.ewg.org/tap-water
2.Seal outdoor wooden decks and play sets: http://www.ewg.org/reports/allhandsondeck
3. Cut down on stain- and grease-proofing chemicals (also known as fluorochemicals: http://www.ewg.org/Health-Tips
4. Stay safe in the sun: http://www.ewg.org/2010sunscreen
5. Cut down on fatty meat and high-fat dairy products.
6. Eat EWG's Clean 15: http://www.foodnews.org
7. Cut your exposures to BPA: http://www.ewg.org/bpa/tipstoavoidbpa
8. Avoid carcinogens in cosmetics: http://www.cosmeticdatabase.com, don't buy products with "PEG" or "-eth" in their name.
9. Read the warnings: products will increasingly begin to have ‘cancer-causing' labels.
According to the World Health Organization (WHO) in 2007 cancer was the leading cause of death worldwide (13%) and the US National Cancer Institute reports that two-thirds of cancers cases are due to environmental factors.
WHO also estimates "12 million deaths in 2030" will be caused by cancer worldwide.
PCP's Annual Report for 2008-2009 "Reducing Environmental Cancer Risk: What We Can Do Now": http://deainfo.nci.nih.gov/advisory/pcp/pcp.htm
A cautionary tale for ambitious would-be authors
X Factor judge will appear in court later this month
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Dear Sir Jimmy Savile: A comedian's words of valediction to the nation's trusted uncle
- 2 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 3 Teenage girl convicted of robbery after taking pre-crime selfie wielding knife
- 4 Newly vegan Beyoncé wears fox fur to dine in meat free restaurant
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent
- < Previous
- Next >
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: C# .NET Server Side De...
£60000 - £70000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Senior QA Engineer Tes...
£40000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits : Harrington Starr: C# .NET Developer (P...
£44000 - £55000 per annum + Excellent Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: Confide...