Nine ways to avoid bringing carcinogens home
Tuesday 06 July 2010
On July 5, the Environmental Working Group (EWG) responded to the US President's Cancer Panel's (PCP) May findings that American "public officials have ‘grossly underestimated' the likelihood that environmental contaminants trigger a large proportion of the cancers diagnosed," by recommending nine ways to avoid environmental carcinogens.
Ken Cook, president of EWG, said in the announcement, "consumers can't wait for the government to take action or for companies to act responsibly by removing carcinogens from their products."
Here are nine tips to reduce your exposure:
1. Filter your tap water: http://www.ewg.org/tap-water
2.Seal outdoor wooden decks and play sets: http://www.ewg.org/reports/allhandsondeck
3. Cut down on stain- and grease-proofing chemicals (also known as fluorochemicals: http://www.ewg.org/Health-Tips
4. Stay safe in the sun: http://www.ewg.org/2010sunscreen
5. Cut down on fatty meat and high-fat dairy products.
6. Eat EWG's Clean 15: http://www.foodnews.org
7. Cut your exposures to BPA: http://www.ewg.org/bpa/tipstoavoidbpa
8. Avoid carcinogens in cosmetics: http://www.cosmeticdatabase.com, don't buy products with "PEG" or "-eth" in their name.
9. Read the warnings: products will increasingly begin to have ‘cancer-causing' labels.
According to the World Health Organization (WHO) in 2007 cancer was the leading cause of death worldwide (13%) and the US National Cancer Institute reports that two-thirds of cancers cases are due to environmental factors.
WHO also estimates "12 million deaths in 2030" will be caused by cancer worldwide.
PCP's Annual Report for 2008-2009 "Reducing Environmental Cancer Risk: What We Can Do Now": http://deainfo.nci.nih.gov/advisory/pcp/pcp.htm
Life & Style blogs
The Last of Us: Ashley Johnson says she would play Ellie in a sequel
Schematics from Israel's Iron Dome missile shield 'hacked' by Chinese, says report
Meow Chat: New messaging app combines Tinder and WhatsApp - but is it safe?
Is Ebola coming to Britain? UK health officials issue warning to doctors as outbreak fears grow
Rihanna, Kim Kardashian and me: How Olivier Rousteing is revitalising the house of Balmain
- 1 Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
- 2 The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
- 3 Is Ebola coming to Britain? UK health officials issue warning to doctors as outbreak fears grow
- 4 Richard Dawkins says 'date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse' on Twitter
- 5 Danish TV reporter is all business up top, all party down below
- < Previous
- Next >
Competitive: The Green Recruitment Company: The Organisation: The Green Recrui...
£350 - £400 per annum + competitive: Orgtel: Project Manager (specializing in ...
£40000 - £50000 per annum + competitive: Progressive Recruitment: Embedded Sof...
£50000 - £65000 per annum + Benefits: Progressive Recruitment: Working for a m...