Quebec publishes guide for aging homosexuals
Sunday 14 August 2011
A gay rights group and the Quebec government unveiled a guide Tuesday on caring for homosexual and transgender seniors in a bid to combat homophobia and abuse of the elderly.
"A first generation of openly homosexual persons is reaching old age and does not want to go back in the closet," said Laurent McCutcheon, president of gay rights group Fondation Emergence at the welfare charter's unveiling.
The publishing of the document, along with related brochures and posters, is part of a CAN$400,000 (US$408,340) campaign funded by the Canadian province to promote gay and lesbian seniors' happy and healthy living.
It encourages care givers to respect their wards and be "inclusive of all regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity."
Quebec Minister Responsible for Seniors Marguerite Blais said she hoped the campaign will help "combat homophobia and elder abuse."
Life & Style blogs
Karl Lagerfeld's famous cat made £2m last year - that's more than Cara Delevingne earned
Google April Fools': company unveils backwards search engine and huggable digital assistant
Fast food Britain: The number of takeaways soars across the nation's high streets
Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
The Clove Club: The restaurant where you will pre-pay for your food
- 1 Rape threats, death threats and a police investigation after video poking fun at an Islamic Party in Malaysia goes viral
- 2 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 3 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
- 4 6-year-old writes ice cold Valentine's card to his stepmother
- 5 Syrian child photographed 'surrendering to camera because she thought it was a gun'
£18000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Working closely with the market...
£20000 - £50000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A reputable company, famed for ...
Negotiable: Ashdown Group: The Ashdown Group has been engaged by a highly resp...