Rock on, without going deaf
Tuesday 01 March 2011
Rock concerts, loud movies, and urban living can all take a toll on your hearing. You risk losing hearing when exposed to sounds at 85 decibels or more, which is about the same sound level as a kitchen blender or hair dryer.
On February 23, health news website MyHealthNewsDaily published a report on what sounds put your ears at risk. The louder the noise and longer you are exposed to it, the greater your risk.
Here's a quick list of decibels levels that you may be exposed to:
30 dB = library
50 dB = rain
60 dB = normal conversation
70 dB = vacuum cleaner
80 dB = busy street
90 dB = shop tools
100 dB = chain saw
110 dB = rock music (in the audience)
120 dB = rock music (as a performer)
130 dB = jackhammer
140 dB = air raid siren
While most everyone's hearing diminishes as they age, prevention is key to protecting your ears. Here is advice from MyHealthNewsDaily:
- Avoid exposure to noise when possible.
- When you can't avoid noise, wear earplugs, which can stop 25 dB of sound. Cotton in your ears doesn't work.
- You can cut down noise in the home with rubber mats under appliances and carpets on floors. Drapes on windows help keep outside noise from coming into your home.
- Turn down the volume on TVs, radios, music sound systems and portable MP3 players. Be especially careful to keep the volume down if you wear ear buds.
- Don't sit near speakers at concerts, dances or weddings.
- Look for noise ratings when buying any product that creates sound, such as a hair dryer. Choose quieter models.
More tips on creating a quieter home: http://www.noisyplanet.nidcd.nih.gov/parents/pages/athome.aspx
Is your love of music costing you your hearing? Watch this video for tips:
Life & Style blogs
Should doctors and patients learn to plan humane, happier endings rather than trying to prolong life?
Black Friday: Best beauty deals
Coke milk? Coca-Cola to launch premium milk brand called Fairlife
Black Friday: best UK tech deals on iPads, Macs, PS4 and more
Black Friday: From Bicester Village to Amazon, best fashion deals
- 1 Jennifer Lawrence scores first UK top 40 single with Hunger Games track 'The Hanging Tree'
- 2 Shia LaBeouf claims he was raped during #IAMSORRY art installation performance
- 4 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries
£30k - 38k per year + Benefits: Opilio Recruitment: An award-winning consume...
£40k - 45k per year + Benefits: Opilio Recruitment: A fantastic opportunity ...
£30k - 35k per year + Benefits: Opilio Recruitment: We’re currently re...
£35k - 45k per year + benefits: Opilio Recruitment: A fantastic opportunity ...