Rock on, without going deaf
Tuesday 01 March 2011
Rock concerts, loud movies, and urban living can all take a toll on your hearing. You risk losing hearing when exposed to sounds at 85 decibels or more, which is about the same sound level as a kitchen blender or hair dryer.
On February 23, health news website MyHealthNewsDaily published a report on what sounds put your ears at risk. The louder the noise and longer you are exposed to it, the greater your risk.
Here's a quick list of decibels levels that you may be exposed to:
30 dB = library
50 dB = rain
60 dB = normal conversation
70 dB = vacuum cleaner
80 dB = busy street
90 dB = shop tools
100 dB = chain saw
110 dB = rock music (in the audience)
120 dB = rock music (as a performer)
130 dB = jackhammer
140 dB = air raid siren
While most everyone's hearing diminishes as they age, prevention is key to protecting your ears. Here is advice from MyHealthNewsDaily:
- Avoid exposure to noise when possible.
- When you can't avoid noise, wear earplugs, which can stop 25 dB of sound. Cotton in your ears doesn't work.
- You can cut down noise in the home with rubber mats under appliances and carpets on floors. Drapes on windows help keep outside noise from coming into your home.
- Turn down the volume on TVs, radios, music sound systems and portable MP3 players. Be especially careful to keep the volume down if you wear ear buds.
- Don't sit near speakers at concerts, dances or weddings.
- Look for noise ratings when buying any product that creates sound, such as a hair dryer. Choose quieter models.
More tips on creating a quieter home: http://www.noisyplanet.nidcd.nih.gov/parents/pages/athome.aspx
Is your love of music costing you your hearing? Watch this video for tips:
Life & Style blogs
'Cheeky' Nando's under fire for apparently coming onto a customer on Twitter
MIT robots can now clear hurdles as they run
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
iPhone 'effective power' text: how to be safe from iOS bug that lets people crash your phone
Fifa 16: Some fans are more annoyed about women players than the corruption scandal
- 1 Saudi Arabia mosque bombing: Two volunteer security guards hailed as heroes for stopping Isis suicide bomber reaching worshippers
- 2 Maisie Williams has an excellent message for one confused fan
- 3 There is something wrong but very right about this Bible illustration
- 4 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 5 Tampon tax scrapped in Canada after petition convinces conservative government
£16500 - £18500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the leading Mercedes-Ben...
£27500 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£19500 - £23500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Experienced B2B Telemarketer wa...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This global company are looking for two Showro...