See: how to best care for your breasts to keep them cancer-free
Monday 20 September 2010
On September 16, Bright Pink, an organization devoted to the prevention and early detection of breast and ovarian cancers, and Orbit White gum partnered to create a live webcast "Treasure your Chest" to teach girls worldwide how to keep their "girls" healthy and cancer-free.
Celebrity news network E!'s Giuliana Rancic and Bright Pink's founder Lindsay Avner demonstrate the best way to "feel yourself up" and advise making a "monthly date with the girls."
The World Health Organization notes, "breast cancer is the top cancer in women both in the developed and the developing world" and "early detection in order to improve breast cancer outcome and survival remains the cornerstone of breast cancer control."
See "Treasure your Chest" for more details on how to give yourself a proper exam and learn more about breast peer support with Pink Pals: http://www.livestream.com/treasureyourchest
Highlights include preventative measures and what to look for:
- If you feel a frozen pea-like lump, experience persistent itching, soreness, and pain consult your physician.
- Proactive tips to keep your breasts healthy: exercise daily, limit fat in your diet, drink no more than one alcoholic beverage a day, breast-feeding can lower your risk, and maintain your weight.
The US National Cancer Institute (NCI) also has an online tool that calculates your breast cancer risk, to check your risk you need to be 35+ years old and answer 7 questions: http://www.cancer.gov/bcrisktoolmobile/Q00.aspx
Bright Pink offers "Underwire alerts" or monthly text reminders to conduct your self-exams. To sign up, access downloadable healthy tools and a Pink Pals, visit: http://www.bebrightpink.org/programs/support-community/breast-self-exam-text-reminder/
Life & Style blogs
iPhone 5C could be killed next year, and Apple’s cheap and cheerful line might die with it
Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
Coke milk? Coca-Cola to launch premium milk brand called Fairlife
Black Friday: Best fashion deals -online and on the high-street
UK's first plus-size fashion magazine Slink hits the shelves: 'Style doesn't stop at size 8'
- 1 Exodus Gods and Kings: Ridley Scott never considered casting 'Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such' in lead role
- 2 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
- 3 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
- 4 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries
- 5 Michael Buerk wishes he'd killed Jimmy Savile when he had the chance - by pushing him overboard a cruise ship
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: SURREY MARKET TOWN - SENIOR PROPERTY SOLICITOR...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: What do you want to do with your career? Do yo...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This company is a leading expert in immunoassa...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Development Scientist is required to join a ...