Steering wheel checks heart rate while you drive
Wednesday 27 July 2011
Automakers continue to push toward in-car medical monitoring features, and the latest offering is Toyota's new steering wheel that doubles as an ECG detection device to keep tabs on your heart rate while on the go.
Reported via gadget website Medgadget on July 26, Toyota flaunted the new steering wheel to journalists in Japan last Thursday.
The new system is equipped with contact sensors that can detect abnormal heart rhythms while your hands are placed on the wheel. If the system detected an imminent problem, it could begin to slow the car automatically to reduce the risk of a serious accident, for example.
Plus the device could potentially provide real-time data to remote medical services in the event of an accident or send automatic updates to a doctor to help patients with diagnosed illnesses manage their condition.
No news is yet available on when Toyota plans to start using the device in its automobiles.
Earlier this year, Ford announced a new car seat embedded with sensors that can monitor the occupant's heartbeat. The US automaker has also unveiled other novel new technologies such as pollen counters and glucose monitors which could one day be linked up to vehicles.
The ideas behind this aren't new, of course - several concept cars in the past have suggested the idea of bioreadings, including Taeho Yoon's Muon concept car, which could monitor heart rates using sensors in the steering wheel.
See the Ford system in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEQ9smLOG4Q
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Saudi Arabia mosque bombing: Two volunteer security guards hailed as heroes for stopping Isis suicide bomber reaching worshippers
- 2 Maisie Williams has an excellent message for one confused fan
- 3 There is something wrong but very right about this Bible illustration
- 4 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 5 Tampon tax scrapped in Canada after petition convinces conservative government
£14000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity for the ...
£14000 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Full time Administrator/Secreta...
£16500 - £18500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the leading Mercedes-Ben...
£27500 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...