Sunblock works, if applied correctly
Wednesday 16 June 2010
If you are committed to taking better care of your skin, bought a full-coverage hat, UV-protective sunglasses and swimwear then you should also make sure you are applying sunblock correctly.
In an announcement by Saint Louis University Medical Center in the US state of Missouri on June 14, Quenby Erickson, DO, an assistant professor of dermatology and Mohs surgeon, noted, "If you've gone to the admirable effort of buying and applying sunscreen, make sure it's working while you wear it."
Here are some of Erickson's tips to make sure you are getting the most out of your sunblock:
- Use enough: The adult body requires a shot glass of sunscreen, it is key to cover your entire body including ears, back of your neck, tops of your feet, and the top of a balding head.
- 30-minute rule: Make sure to apply the sunblock 30 minutes before going out and apply every two hours and directly after swimming.
- Spray closer: spray blocks are an easy-to-use system but to ensure you are getting the protection spray a maximum of two to three inches (5-7.5 cm) away from the body and make sure to still rub the cream in.
- Keep it fresh: do not use a sunblock after its expiration date - its ability to protect diminishes.
If you are trying to decide on a specific sunblock, take a look at the Environmental Working Group's (EWG) 2010 Sunscreen Guide, for a list of the top beach and sport suncreens: http://www.ewg.org/2010sunscreen/best-beach-sport-sunscreens and the top SPF moisturizers: http://www.ewg.org/2010sunscreen/best-beach-sport-sunscreens/moisturizers-with-spf
Life & Style blogs
Alexander McQueen at auction: What makes a really great piece of fashion?
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
No female ejaculation, please, we’re British: a history of porn and censorship
Stressed nurses are 'forced to choose between health of patients and their own'
Pornhub: Kim Kardashian's sex tape is the most-watched porn video of all-time
- 1 Nigel Farage: Me vs Russell Brand on Question Time – he's got the chest hair but where are his ideas?
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more
£65000 - £80000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Finance Director required to jo...
£15000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a unique opportunity fo...
£50000 per annum + 26 days holiday,pension: Ashdown Group: A highly successful...
£27000 per annum + pension + holidays: The Jenrick Group: A Quality Technician...