Sunblock works, if applied correctly
Wednesday 16 June 2010
If you are committed to taking better care of your skin, bought a full-coverage hat, UV-protective sunglasses and swimwear then you should also make sure you are applying sunblock correctly.
In an announcement by Saint Louis University Medical Center in the US state of Missouri on June 14, Quenby Erickson, DO, an assistant professor of dermatology and Mohs surgeon, noted, "If you've gone to the admirable effort of buying and applying sunscreen, make sure it's working while you wear it."
Here are some of Erickson's tips to make sure you are getting the most out of your sunblock:
- Use enough: The adult body requires a shot glass of sunscreen, it is key to cover your entire body including ears, back of your neck, tops of your feet, and the top of a balding head.
- 30-minute rule: Make sure to apply the sunblock 30 minutes before going out and apply every two hours and directly after swimming.
- Spray closer: spray blocks are an easy-to-use system but to ensure you are getting the protection spray a maximum of two to three inches (5-7.5 cm) away from the body and make sure to still rub the cream in.
- Keep it fresh: do not use a sunblock after its expiration date - its ability to protect diminishes.
If you are trying to decide on a specific sunblock, take a look at the Environmental Working Group's (EWG) 2010 Sunscreen Guide, for a list of the top beach and sport suncreens: http://www.ewg.org/2010sunscreen/best-beach-sport-sunscreens and the top SPF moisturizers: http://www.ewg.org/2010sunscreen/best-beach-sport-sunscreens/moisturizers-with-spf
Life & Style blogs
Astrological signs are almost all wrong, as movement of moon and sun throws out zodiac
PTSD photo series documents what the disorder is really like – as study reveals suicides of 22 US veterans every day
The distress of some Zayn Malik fans is real, and they need support, say experts
NHS property sale could raise £7.5bn to help pay off its growing deficit and free up space for housing
Clocks change: how to make sure iPhone and smartphones automatically ‘spring forward’
- 1 Finland schools: Subjects scrapped and replaced with 'topics' as country reforms its education system
- 2 The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
- 3 Watch: Man takes selfie every mile of 2,600 mile hike, creates amazing timelapse video
- 4 The day I starred in Only Fools and Horses
- 5 Scientists have discovered a simple way to cook rice that dramatically cuts the calories
£6 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity to join a gro...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Service Delivery Manager is required to join...
£12000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A opportunity has arisen for a ...
£32000 - £38000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A successful accountancy practice in...