Superbug detected in Taiwan
Monday 04 October 2010
Taiwan said Monday a multi-drug resistant superbug that surfaced in South Asia had been found for the first time on the island in a cameramen shot and wounded while working in India.
The bacterium carrying the NDM-1 gene was found in an intestine sample taken from the Taiwanese cameraman, who was shot outside a mosque in New Delhi last month, health authorities said.
"This is the first time the virus is found in Taiwan," said Shih Wen-yi, deputy director general of the Centres for Disease Control.
Shih told reporters that the cameraman had been infected with the bacteria while undergoing surgery in India, but urged the public not to panic over the discovery.
"It's not easy for the people to be infected by the cameraman," he said, explaining the cameramen had shown no symptoms of infection.
The cameraman flew back to Taiwan on September 27 to receive further treatment and has since been discharged.
The World Health Organization has called on global health authorities to monitor the superbug.
Life & Style blogs
Snapchat removed the Best Friends list feature and 'stalkers' are upset
Virtual reality thrusts viewers into the frontline of global events - and puts film-goers at the heart of the action
Fifty years of David Bowie's hairstyles in one animated gif
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
Eculizumab: 'The £10m-per-patient NHS drug gave me my life back’
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 3 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 4 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 5 Isis publicly behead man in Syrian town square for 'insulting Allah' as he screams for help
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: NON-CONTENTIOUS (0-2 PQE) - A rare opportunity...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Senior Financial Analyst is required to join...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join the South West'...
£15000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This major European Intellectual Propert...