Swingers at risk of sexual disease: Dutch study
Middle-aged swingers - heterosexual couples who swap partners at sex parties - have been identified as an "at-risk" group for chlamydia and gonorrhoea, says a Dutch study published on Thursday
Researchers in South Limburg, a district of 630,000 people that includes Maastricht city, sounded the alarm after looking at statistics from three sexual disease clinics which have been registering swingers as a patient category since 2007.
Of 8,971 consultations for chlamydia and gonorrhea in 2007 and 2008, almost one in eight were for swingers, whose average age was 43, the investigators found.
Swingers placed third after young heterosexuals and gays in the disease tally. Female swingers had higher infection rates than male swingers.
"Swingers, like other groups with risk behaviours, need to be identified and treated as a risk group in STI (sexually transmitted infection) prevention and care," according to the study, headed by Nicole Dukers-Muijrers of the South Limburg Public Medical Health Service.
Exact figures on the Netherlands' population of swingers are unclear but the number "is probably large," says the paper, published in the journal Sexually Transmitted Infections.
One popular website alone has 15,000 couples, it says.
Life & Style blogs
A roundup of the latest property news
Plus, do energy saving measures boost house prices?
The spring menswear season has only just begun, but I've already started to get deep and meaningful....
The 10 Best sports sunglasses
Apps: A poke in the eye for social-network friends
Viral video straps colt .45 handgun to a home-use drone
Bollywood star, Shahrukh Khan, accused of choosing sex of baby
'NHS watchdog is not fit for purpose': Report reveals CQC covered up scandal at University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust where eight babies died of neglect
- 1 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 2 'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
£600 - £750 per day: Orgtel: FATCA Project Manager - Banking - London - £600-...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: May & Stephens Recruitment Group: If you're an ambi...
£43000 - £50000 per annum + £5K Car Allowance + Bens : May & Stephens Recrui...
£18000 - £22000 per annum + Bens : May & Stephens Recruitment Group: If you're...