Taiwan passes new law on breastfeeding in public
Wednesday 10 November 2010
Taiwan on Tuesday adopted a law allowing women to breastfeed in public with hefty fines for anyone who tries to stop them, after five mothers were forced to leave a museum for nursing their babies.
Under the new rule, anyone attempting to prevent breastfeeding in public will face a fine of up to 30,000 Taiwan dollars (990 US dollars), according to the Department of Health.
A musem in Taipei sparked public outcry when it asked five women to leave after they were found openly nursing their babies.
The fine will apply to government buildings, department stores, airports, train and metro stations which fail to set up nursing rooms, the department said in a statement.
"We urge the public to show more respect for nursing mothers, to support and create a friendly environment for breastfeeding," the statement said.
Life & Style blogs
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
Paris Fashion Week: Skirting the issue for the stylish boys' brigade
Losing appetite as you age? Try adding umami flavour to restore the 'joy of taste'
The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back
Miss Universe 2015: A beefeater, a yellow tree and an entire hockey game - the bizarre national costumes
- 1 Paris attacks: Do not call Charlie Hebdo killers 'terrorists', BBC says
- 2 Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
- 3 UK weather: Snow to fall in the coming week with sub-zero temperatures to last until early February
- 4 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 5 The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back
£18000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Superb opportunity for a BUYING...
£14560 - £15000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company offers personalise...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A really exciting opportunity has arisen for a...
£22000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An established, family owned de...