Taiwanese woman catches 4 million mosquitoes
Tuesday 03 August 2010
A Taiwanese woman has taken a sizeable bite out of Taiwan's mosquito population, and won a 3,000 US dollar cash prize, by catching around 4 million of the bloodsuckers in just one month.
Huang Yu-yen, from southern Taiwan's Yunlin county, beat 72 rivals with a catch weighing in at more than 1.5 kilogrammes (3lbs 5oz), competition organisers Imbictus International, a company that makes insect traps, said.
The haul was more than double that of her nearest rival.
The company has sent an application to Guinness World Records asking that Huang be recognised as the world's leading killer of the pest.
Mosquitoes have been a major public health hazard in Taiwan, especially as carriers of malaria until its official eradication on the island in 1965. They are still responsible for the spread of dengue fever.
Life & Style blogs
Charlie Charlie Challenge: everyone on the internet thinks it’s a marketing stunt, but it probably isn’t
Big knickers are back: Thongs ain't what they used to be
Woman jailed for making 'loud sex noises'
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
The big NHS question: Why are there so few new GPs when so many of our keenest brains want to study medicine?
- 1 Man on naked bike ride gets ejected after becoming aroused
- 2 Charles Kennedy dead: Former Lib Dem leader dies at home aged 55 - latest news
- 3 Ayyan Ali: Pakistan's top model now appears in the courtroom rather than on the catwalk
- 4 Fifa corruption: Europe plots to stage an 'alternative World Cup' in place of Russia 2018
- 5 Jaden Smith wears gender fluid dress to high school prom with Hunger Games actress
£20000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an intermediate help de...
£20000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This long established manufactu...
£70000 - £90000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Financial Reporting Manager i...
£16000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A young, vibrant and growing co...