The secret to fitness craze Zumba's success?
Wednesday 07 September 2011
Alberto "Beto" Perez launched the technique in his native Colombia in 1986, and its success grew after he moved to Bogota and later to Miami. In 2002, he and entrepreneur Alberto Aghion began selling DVDs via infomercials.
Now Zumba is one of the hottest trends on the fitness market, with some 25,000 instructors in 40 countries, as well as its own clothing line, lifestyle magazine, and spinoff classes tailored for seniors, kids, and a sculpting class using weighted sticks that sound like maracas.
Part of its winning formula, says co-founder and CEO Alberto Perlman, is that Zumba (which is Spanish slang for "buzz like a bee") is safe for just about anyone since the steps can be modified to create a low-impact workout. He adds that teachers are encouraged to keep choreography simple, forgo over-directing so students can drop their inhibitions and "feel" the music, which fans say is a critical part of the fun of the style.
What's next for Zumba? This summer, the organization held its biggest members-only convention in Orlando, Florida, with 6,000 Zumba pros honing in on a new focus: fusion. Expect to see flamenco, hip hop, yoga, belly dancing, house music, African, Bollywood, capoeira, and Mexican dance moves coming to a Zumba class near you.
Other new dance-fitness styles emerging to compete with Zumba include Batuka, a hot trend in Spain in recent years that offers a Latin-infused cardio workout with a zen-like approach. Also, Latinva offers a heart-pumping workout with bachata, cha cha, cumbia, mambo, merengue, salsa, and tango dance steps.
Watch a Zumba fitness video featuring rapper Pitbull: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4jfNhXjEdg
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Apple has installed security backdoors on 600m iPhones and iPads, claims security researcher
- 2 Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Pro-Russian rebel 'admits to shooting down plane'
- 3 Louis van Gaal gets tough with Manchester United players, with Darren Fletcher and Luke Shaw berated in public and Phil Jones left looking bemused
- 4 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 5 Peaches Geldof inquest: Tragic final moments of socialite's life reveal she "lied" to husband about failed drugs tests
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: Senior Private Client Solicitor - We are makin...
£50000 per annum + benefits: Progressive Recruitment: A unique and rare opport...
£35000 - £40000 Per Annum plus 23 days holiday and pension scheme: Clearwater ...
£260 - £325 per day: Progressive Recruitment: IT Trainer: E-Commerce Experienc...