Tips to avoid sleep-sex
Tuesday 08 June 2010
This may seem an oxymoron to those not suffering from sexsomnia, a parasomnia -where a person appears to be awake while asleep, but here are some tips to help sexsomniacs, people who begin a sexual act while still sleeping uncontrollably.
SleepEducation.com, a resource from the American Academy of Sleep Medicine, recommends sleeping every night 7-8 hours if you are an adult, 9 hours for teens and toddlers and schoolchildren should get between 9 -14 hours.
It is also important to maintain a constant sleep-wake schedule even on holidays and weekends. Messing with your clock can lead to sleep disorders as well as alcohol and drug use.
Should you have a more serious sleep disorder or are suffering anxiety, depression and stress, it is best to seek advice from a health professional.
Also, parasomnias, including sexsomnia, can be linked to other medical conditions including: Parkinson disease, dementia, narcolepsy and mid-brain tumors.
The best way to get tested for these disorders is to be observed overnight at a sleep clinic and if you have experienced sexsomnia, are not on drugs and have a regular sleeping pattern, it would be best to seek professional help.
For more information on the Sleep Research Laboratory's (at the University Health Network in Toronto, Canada) research presentation on sexsomnia visit SLEEP 2010: http://www.apss.org
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Alan Rickman admits editing 'terrible' script with friends in Pizza Hut behind backs of writers on Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
- 2 18th century sex toy found in 'toilet of sword fighting school' in Poland
- 3 US? China? India? The 10 biggest economies in 2030 will be...
- 4 'I wish my teacher knew...': Young students share their 'heartbreaking' worries in notes
- 5 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats
£18000 - £23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They work with major vehicle ma...
£16500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Chiropractic Assistant is needed in a ...
£18000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They work with major vehicle ma...
£28000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company provides coaching ...