Top food claims sought by consumers: 'healthy' and 'low fat'
Tuesday 01 March 2011
The most important food claims for consumers when buying a product are that it's good for you and low in fat.
That's according to the findings of a January survey that polled a thousand shoppers in the UK. The survey, carried out by food and drink trend tracking source MMR, found that 51 percent of consumers actively look for the word "healthy" when shopping for a food product. The next most popular food claim was "low or no fat," sought by 38 percent of respondents. Sharing the third spot at 34 percent were the terms "free range," "low or no saturated fat," "natural" and "low or no sugar." On the bottom rung was "Fairtrade."
"When UK consumers shop for food, there is a clear hierarchy of appealing product claims," MMR spokesman Mat Lintern told online trade magazine FoodNavigator.com. "First, they seek products that promise to benefit themselves, then animal welfare and their local area, and then those that address the plights of the rest of the world."
Here's a list of the most sought-out food claims, according to the survey results of MMR's Pulse Programme.
2. Low or no fat
3. Free range; low or no saturated fat; natural; low or no sugar
4. Free from artificial colors and flavors; wholegrain; recyclable packaging; locally produced; animal welfare; Fairtrade
Life & Style blogs
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
A nap a day could save your life
Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
The antidote to Tinder? Majority of dating app users want relationship, rather than hook-ups, study finds
The truth behind who really buys sex dolls, from the man who makes the most realistic ones you can buy
- 1 Barbarians vs Samoa interrupted by sprinklers as fans criticise lack of Wi-Fi and poor seating at West Ham's Olympic Stadium
- 2 Caitlyn Jenner car crash: Driver who died in collision sued by surviving passengers for $18.5m
- 3 Watch the Supermoon live: How to see the brightest Moon of the year tonight
- 4 Hulk Hogan wants to be Donald Trump's running mate in the US Presidential election
- 5 Blood Moon and Supermoon: September to bring brightest – and dimmest – full Moon of the year on same night
£18000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Sales Executive or Senior Sal...
£40000 - £55000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This industry leading company produces h...
£20000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This IT provider for the educat...