Top treadmills of 2011: Landice L7, Sole F85, Smooth 9.35 HR
If you're looking to purchase a treadmill for your home this year, you're in luck. Today's models have replaced yesterday's bulky, pricey treadmills with sleek new designs that fit many budgets.
Last month, health and fitness website Livestrong.com reported on a few best buys for 2011 in a series of articles on choice picks for in-home usage, tight budgets, or big splurges.
1. Landice L7 ProSports Trainer - Ideal for serious running, this treadmill offers an extra-long walking area, 4-ply deck (usually only found on commercial treadmills), patented shock absorption system, an aluminum frame, and great warranty. Price: about $4,000/€3,000.
2. Gold's Gym Maxx CrossWalk 650 - This budget-priced treadmill is ideal for walkers and sells for $650/€485. The machine has plenty of programs, a quiet motor, and a good-size walking area, as well as nice cushioning and a power incline.
3. The Sole F85 - The Sole F85 treadmill has a number of things going for it: a relatively low price point for a high-end machine ($2,000/€1,500), a long running surface, and a 15 percent incline.
4. The Reebok S 9.80 - At $700/€523, this treadmill offers a longer, 60-inch (152.4 cm) belt, suitable for runners over walkers, a 12 mph (about 19 kph) speed limit, and a 12 percent maximum incline.
5. Smooth 9.35 HR - This model offers a shock absorption system that reduces impact on the joints. Features a full 3.0 horsepower motor and a lifetime warranty. For $2,950/€2,201, the Smooth 9.35 HR treadmill is a genuine runner's machine.
For something different, try attaching the TrekDesk Treadmill Desk to your treadmill and work out while you work. The TrekDesk is a desk that fits over an existing treadmill, and is being touted by Forbes magazine as a luxury worth the splurge. Price: $479/€358.
Some good sites to research treadmills before you buy:
Watch a video with tips on buying a treadmill: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adj7VbWyOD0
Life & Style blogs
Plus London's buy-to-let hotspots and a new property portal
Guest post by Richard Sexton, business development director of e.surv chartered surveyors
Plus lateral thinking and living on London's waterways
Facial hair: Cat beards and the purrrsuit of excellence
Price of Xbox One may be less than 360 say insiders
Microsoft's Xbox One: Have the price (£399) and release date (30 November) been leaked by online retailer Zavvi?
Xbox One vs PlayStation 4: Why Microsoft's console name game just doesn't add up
The 10 Best salt and pepper sets
- 1 What, let gays get married? We must be bonkers
- 2 'Something passed underneath us, quite close': Airbus A320 has close encounter with UFO
- 3 Rocky Horror star Tim Curry 'suffers major stroke'
- 4 Lord of the Sings: Sir Christopher Lee, 91, to release heavy metal album
- 5 Exclusive: Woolwich killings suspect Michael Adebolajo was inspired by cleric banned from UK after urging followers to behead enemies of Islam
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Nook is donating eReaders to volunteers at high-need schools and participating in exclusive events throughout the campaign.
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.