Toxic sex toys get a red flag - how to find safe options
Wednesday 06 July 2011
Germany's Green Party has called for new laws regulating sex toys, which they say can contain high amounts of phthalates, a family of chemicals used to soften plastic, and other carcinogenic plasticizers that you might not want touching your privates.
According to Der Spiegel on July 1, German officials warn that these toxic substances can enter the body through mucous membranes and lead to a host of health problems, such as infertility, hormone imbalances, diabetes, and even obesity.
In 2004 the European Union banned phthalates in products intended for infants, and the US followed suit in 2008.
Denmark has responded to the sex toy warnings by advising that users cover dildos and vibrators with condoms for protection and avoid products made with PVC.
In the US sex toys are mostly unregulated, but US expert Stefanie Iris Weis, author of Eco-Sex: Go Green Between the Sheets and Make Your Love Life Sustainable, told iVillage that one tip is to give your sex toys the "sniff test," she says. "If it has new-car smell, put it down." Instead look for toys made from medical-grade silicone, she adds, and opt for vibrators with rechargeable batteries for a more eco-friendly choice.
Glass sex toys, commonly made from clear medical grade borosilicate or hard glass, are also marketed as a safe and nontoxic option. For more information, visit sex activist Lisa Lawless's online store Holistic Wisdom ( http://www.holisticwisdom.com), which only carries sex toys deemed nontoxic.
Read Der Spiegel's report: http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/0,1518,771863,00.html
More tips on going green in the bedroom: http://www.ivillage.com/non-toxic-sex-toys-eco-sex-going-green-bedroom/4-b-325619#325620
Learn more about recycling sex toys and healthier options: http://www.sextoyrecycling.com
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Mystery man who gave mum heart-warming note on train 'wanted to put a smile on her face'
- 3 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 4 Mafia's wall of silence broken: Victim of Cosa Nostra's extortion rackets in its Corleone heartland co-operates with authorities for the first time ever
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent answer to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
Negotiable: Tradewind Recruitment: This post arises as a result of the need to...
£120 - £150 per annum: Tradewind Recruitment: I am recruiting on instruction o...
£70000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Head of Finance - Financial Controller - Fina...
£24000 - £28000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Marketing Executive - Wim...