US approves Swiss firm's cervical cancer test
Friday 22 April 2011
Swiss pharmaceutical giant Roche has been given the green light by US authorities to market its test for screening cervical cancer, the company announced on Wednesday.
The US Food and Drug Administration FDA has approved the cobas HPV (Human Papillomavirus) Test which identifies women with the highest risk of developing cervical cancer.
It is the only FDA-approved cervical cancer screening test that identifies genotypes 16 and 18, the two most aggressive forms of the potentially-fatal virus, at the same time as other high-risk forms, the company said.
Roche estimates that more than 55 million cervical smear tests are carried out in the US every year.
Last week the firm reported a nine percent fall in its first-quarter sales compared with a year ago, hurt by a strong Swiss franc.
Revenues for the first three months of the year reached 11.1 billion francs ($12.5 billion dollars, 8.6 billion euros).
The Basel-based group confirmed its full-year target, with group sales expected to grow at "low single-digit rates in local currencies."
Life & Style blogs
The 10 Best Scotch Whiskies
Resurgence of TB poses grave threat worldwide
Titanfall: First-person shooter lands with a boom on Xbox One, but will it save Microsoft's console?
GIF inventor Steve Wilhite says it should be pronounced 'jif'
'Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 plane found in Bermuda Triangle!' Viral Facebook links are profiting hackers
- 1 Is your name now 'banned' in Saudi Arabia?
- 2 Gender-specific books demean all our children. So the Independent on Sunday will no longer review anything marketed to exclude either sex
- 3 Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Did jetliner fly into area controlled by Taliban? Net widens after claims final satellite signal could have been sent from the ground
- 4 Nasa-funded study warns of ‘collapse of civilisation’ in coming decades
- 5 'Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 plane found in Bermuda Triangle!' Viral Facebook links are profiting hackers
£30000 - £40000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Assistant Head Teach...
£6240 - £33600 per annum: Randstad Education Nottingham: Can you teach Food Te...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Group: My client require dynamic and innovative...
£30000 - £40000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Industrial/Product...