US approves Swiss firm's cervical cancer test
Friday 22 April 2011
Swiss pharmaceutical giant Roche has been given the green light by US authorities to market its test for screening cervical cancer, the company announced on Wednesday.
The US Food and Drug Administration FDA has approved the cobas HPV (Human Papillomavirus) Test which identifies women with the highest risk of developing cervical cancer.
It is the only FDA-approved cervical cancer screening test that identifies genotypes 16 and 18, the two most aggressive forms of the potentially-fatal virus, at the same time as other high-risk forms, the company said.
Roche estimates that more than 55 million cervical smear tests are carried out in the US every year.
Last week the firm reported a nine percent fall in its first-quarter sales compared with a year ago, hurt by a strong Swiss franc.
Revenues for the first three months of the year reached 11.1 billion francs ($12.5 billion dollars, 8.6 billion euros).
The Basel-based group confirmed its full-year target, with group sales expected to grow at "low single-digit rates in local currencies."
Life & Style blogs
iPhone 5C could be killed next year, and Apple’s cheap and cheerful line might die with it
Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
Coke milk? Coca-Cola to launch premium milk brand called Fairlife
Black Friday: Best fashion deals -online and on the high-street
UK's first plus-size fashion magazine Slink hits the shelves: 'Style doesn't stop at size 8'
- 1 Exodus Gods and Kings: Ridley Scott never considered casting 'Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such' in lead role
- 2 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
- 3 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
- 4 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries
- 5 Obama: The only people with the right to object to immigration are Native Americans
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: SURREY MARKET TOWN - SENIOR PROPERTY SOLICITOR...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: What do you want to do with your career? Do yo...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This company is a leading expert in immunoassa...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Development Scientist is required to join a ...