Winter fitness: prep your bike
Thursday 30 December 2010
If staying fit equals pedal power regardless of temperature dips, you'll want to ensure you and your bike are winter-ready this season. On December 27, renowned science and technology magazine
Wired offered a few tips to keep you safe and warm when traveling in chilly conditions.
In the article, Todd Down, professional bike mechanic and author of The Bicycling Guide to Complete Bicycle Maintenance & Repair for Road & Mountain Bikes, shared his tried-and-true methods for winter cycling:
1. Prep your wheels: Studded snow tires are a good bet, especially if you live in an icy area. Mountain bike tires, cyclocross tires, or any tires with a thick tread are ideal, Wired stated. Snowy roads and street slicks are, obviously, a bad combination.
2. Keep it clean: If you're riding on roads that freeze, chances are officials are sprinkling salt on the road for traction, which is corrosive to your bike. Wipe down the bike as soon as you get where you're going, and wash it as often as possible. Keep the rest of the bike clean and your chain and brakes well-oiled.
3. Use a fender: "An absolute must for those slushy, sloppy days," states Down. "Full fenders will not only keep the salty, oily spray off you, but they'll minimize how much gets thrown on sensitive parts of your bike," such as the brakes, the crank bearing, and steering bearing.
4. Light up: Use a bright, white headlight and red taillight at all times, even during the day.
5. Wear layers: Moisture-wicking base layers work to remove the moisture from your skin and keep you warm and dry. But be sure to add gloves, a face mask, and a thin head covering under your helmet.
For more tips or to share your own, visit here.
Read more on winter cycling:
Watch a video on winter cyclin basics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhEW-45yi6k
elephant appealThe first 23 lots in our charity auction have now gone. But there are 22 more still up for grabs
The magicians using online collaboration to push boundaries
lifeIt takes year-long dedication to get Selfridges ready for 25 December. And they're already working on plans for 2015...
Jennifer Lawrence attacks mass media again over body image
Paris charity auction staged to save the ancient city of Tyre
Life & Style blogs
The 10 Best Scotch Whiskies
America's 'virgin births'? One in 200 mothers 'became pregnant without having sex'
Last orders looming for Trappist beers as Belgium's band of brotherly brewers dies off
Facebook 'self-censorship': study records when you don't post to find more ways to share
Vitamin pills are a waste of money, offer no health benefits and could be harmful - study
- 1 America's 'virgin births'? One in 200 mothers 'became pregnant without having sex'
- 2 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 3 Ian Watkins: Paedophile Lostprophets singer sentenced to 35 years for child sex offences, as judge labels him a 'dangerous sexual predator'
- 4 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber announces he's 'retiring from music'
- 5 Children evacuated from swimming pool after prosthetic leg mistaken for paedophile
- < Previous
- Next >
£25000 - £32000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Junior Business Analyst - Banking...
£21999 - £27001 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: Do you have exten...
£25000 - £35000 per annum + benefits + bonus: Harrington Starr: Business Analy...
£42000 - £51000 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: Are You Receiving...