Winter fitness: prep your bike
Thursday 30 December 2010
If staying fit equals pedal power regardless of temperature dips, you'll want to ensure you and your bike are winter-ready this season. On December 27, renowned science and technology magazine
Wired offered a few tips to keep you safe and warm when traveling in chilly conditions.
In the article, Todd Down, professional bike mechanic and author of The Bicycling Guide to Complete Bicycle Maintenance & Repair for Road & Mountain Bikes, shared his tried-and-true methods for winter cycling:
1. Prep your wheels: Studded snow tires are a good bet, especially if you live in an icy area. Mountain bike tires, cyclocross tires, or any tires with a thick tread are ideal, Wired stated. Snowy roads and street slicks are, obviously, a bad combination.
2. Keep it clean: If you're riding on roads that freeze, chances are officials are sprinkling salt on the road for traction, which is corrosive to your bike. Wipe down the bike as soon as you get where you're going, and wash it as often as possible. Keep the rest of the bike clean and your chain and brakes well-oiled.
3. Use a fender: "An absolute must for those slushy, sloppy days," states Down. "Full fenders will not only keep the salty, oily spray off you, but they'll minimize how much gets thrown on sensitive parts of your bike," such as the brakes, the crank bearing, and steering bearing.
4. Light up: Use a bright, white headlight and red taillight at all times, even during the day.
5. Wear layers: Moisture-wicking base layers work to remove the moisture from your skin and keep you warm and dry. But be sure to add gloves, a face mask, and a thin head covering under your helmet.
For more tips or to share your own, visit here.
Read more on winter cycling:
Watch a video on winter cyclin basics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhEW-45yi6k
Liam Neeson's Downton dreams
Thriller is set in the secret world of British espionage
Bomber jacket worn by Mary Berry sells out within an hour
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Thailand beach murders: Thai PM suggests 'attractive' female tourists cannot expect to be safe wearing bikinis
- 2 Scottish independence: What you shouldn't tweet about if you want to avoid jail today
- 3 Scottish independence: Five reasons Salmond is secretly hoping for a 'No' vote
- 4 Isis plan to 'behead random member of the public' in Sydney thwarted by Australian police
- 5 Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
Unpaid Voluntary Position : Reach Volunteering: Promising volunteer Trustee op...
£30000 - £35000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client is curr...
£110 - £130 per hour: Randstad Education Reading: Psychology Teacher needed fo...
£85 - £120 per day: Randstad Education Cheshire: Randstad Education are curren...