A Day That Shook The World: American golfer Bobby Jones wins grand slam
Friday 04 March 2011
On 27 September 1930, amateur American golfer Bobby Jones became the first - and the only - golfer ever to win the four major golfing tournaments in one season - the grand slam.
28-year-old Jones, one of the first truly international sporting heroes, had won more or less every golfing prize going, but in today would be the day he truly made sporting history.
What's more amazing is the fact that he was an amateur - he was a fully qualified engineer, and worked as such in between his golf.
Watch original footage from his momentous victories in this British Pathé video, above.
Life & Style blogs
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
Astrological signs are almost all wrong, as movement of moon and sun throws out zodiac
The distress of some Zayn Malik fans is real, and they need support, say experts
The food fad that's starving Bolivia
Gay marriage, one year on: Couples mark first anniversary of same-sex marriages
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans
- 1 East 17 bandmember Brian Harvey in 'very desperate situation’
- 2 Vladimir Putin says Russia will fight for the right of Palestinians to their own state
- 3 WrestleMania 31 results: Seth Rollins stuns WWE as he cashes in Money in the Bank contract to claim title from Brock Lesnar
- 4 Ohio Democrat Teresa Fedor speaks out during abortion debate to reveal she has been raped – and is interrupted by laughter from Republicans
- 5 Germanwings plane crash: I have depression. That doesn't make me a psychopath
£35000 - £38000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An opportunity has arisen withi...
£13676.46 - £15864.28 per annum + Uncapped Commission: SThree: As a Trainee Re...
£13000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Every day they get another 1000...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This leading provider of refrigeration, mechan...