A Day That Shook The World: American golfer Bobby Jones wins grand slam
Friday 04 March 2011
On 27 September 1930, amateur American golfer Bobby Jones became the first - and the only - golfer ever to win the four major golfing tournaments in one season - the grand slam.
28-year-old Jones, one of the first truly international sporting heroes, had won more or less every golfing prize going, but in today would be the day he truly made sporting history.
What's more amazing is the fact that he was an amateur - he was a fully qualified engineer, and worked as such in between his golf.
Watch original footage from his momentous victories in this British Pathé video, above.
Life & Style blogs
Snapchat removed the Best Friends list feature and 'stalkers' are upset
Fifty years of David Bowie's hairstyles in one animated gif
Virtual reality thrusts viewers into the frontline of global events - and puts film-goers at the heart of the action
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
Doctors in the dock: Scandal of GPs who get cash from healthcare firms for patient referrals
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 3 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 4 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 5 Isis publicly behead man in Syrian town square for 'insulting Allah' as he screams for help
£28000 - £32000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Creative Marketing Executive (Stand...
Negotiable: Tradewind Recruitment: Our exclusive client in St Albans Hertfords...
Negotiable: Tradewind Recruitment: Key Stage 2 Teachers needed in Hertfordshir...
£55000 - £58000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A truly exciting opportunity has ari...