A Day That Shook The World: Campbell dies in Bluebird crash
Tuesday 04 January 2011
On 4 January 1967 Donald Campbell died when trying to break the 300 mile an hour speed barrier on water when his Bluebird vehicle crashed.
Campbell reached speeds of up to 330 miles an hour before seemingly losing control of the Bluebird and crashing spectacularly.
The Bluebird was recovered from the bottom of Coniston Lake but Campbell’s body was never found.
This British Pathe newsreel shows Campbell’s final journey:
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
£50000 - £70000 per annum + Benefits : Harrington Starr: Senior Automation QA ...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + Bonus and Benefits: Harrington Starr: A global Con...
£31000 - £43000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: This se...
£27000 - £45000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Lambeth...