A Day That Shook The World: Diana dies in Paris car crash
Wednesday 31 August 2011
On 31 August 1997, the world was stunned when Diana Princess of Wales died in a horrific car crash in Paris in the small hours of the morning.
Diana had recently embarked on a romance with Dodi al-Fayed, and was being hounded by paparazzi eager to get pictures of the couple. Dodi and Diana were seen leaving The Ritz hotel by the back door after dinner, and were chased by a pack of photographers.
While many details are hotly contested, it seems that their driver had been drinking before the crash. Three of the four occupants of the vehicle, including the couple, died at the scene, prompting a global outpouring of grief, and a crisis for the monarchy.
Watch original British Pathe footage from the scene of the accident, above.
Diving in at the deep end is no excuse for shirking the style stakes
Life & Style blogs
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
War is war: Why I stand with Israel
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
Socialist Worker called to apologise over ‘vile’ article saying Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple's death is ‘reason to save the polar bears’
Emergency data law: David Cameron plots to bring back snoopers’ charter
NUT strike: David Cameron announces crackdown on strike action ahead of mass industrial action
- 1 Stephen Fry ‘criticises Operation Yewtree in dinner party rant’ calling for tougher laws to deter false sex abuse allegations
- 2 Belgium fan Axelle Despiegelaere lands L'Oreal campaign after World Cup viral photo
- 3 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 4 Israel-Gaza conflict: ‘Sderot cinema’ image shows Israelis with popcorn and chairs 'cheering as missiles strike Palestinian targets'
- 5 Blackest is the new black: Scientists have developed a material so dark that you can't see it...
£40000 - £60000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Dynamics CRM D...
£40000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Web Developer ...
£50000 - £67000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C# R&D .NE...
£40000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C# Developer (...