A Day That Shook The World: Diana dies in Paris car crash
Wednesday 31 August 2011
On 31 August 1997, the world was stunned when Diana Princess of Wales died in a horrific car crash in Paris in the small hours of the morning.
Diana had recently embarked on a romance with Dodi al-Fayed, and was being hounded by paparazzi eager to get pictures of the couple. Dodi and Diana were seen leaving The Ritz hotel by the back door after dinner, and were chased by a pack of photographers.
While many details are hotly contested, it seems that their driver had been drinking before the crash. Three of the four occupants of the vehicle, including the couple, died at the scene, prompting a global outpouring of grief, and a crisis for the monarchy.
Watch original British Pathe footage from the scene of the accident, above.
Life & Style blogs
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
Islamic history is full of free thinkers - but recent attempts to suppress critical thought are verging on the absurd
30,000 reasons why the rhetoric on immigrants claiming benefits can stop now
- 1 Asteroid narrowly scrapes past Earth: how to watch the closest space rock for decades as it flies by
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back
- 4 British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
- 5 Watch Richard Dawkins read his own hatemail: 'I hope you do get sodomised by satanic monkeys in hell'
£38000 - £42000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the UK's best performing...
£35000 - £43000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Our award-winning client is one...
£15000 - £21000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This leading provider of Atlas ...
£18000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Opportunity to join established...