A Day That Shook The World: Fall of Iraq
Friday 08 April 2011
On 9 April 2003, American tanks rolled into Baghdad, 21 days after war was declared by the West on Sadam Hussein's Iraq.
Even as Saddam and his information minister staged walkabouts and press conferences, denying that allied troops were even inside the divided city, events were moving too fast for them to survive.
Some time in the afternoon, a crowd of Iraqis toppled the huge statue of their erstwhile leader - with the help of the US military - in front of a crowd of nearly as many journalists. It would become one of the enduring images of the war.
Watch original British Pathe footage from the attack on Baghdad above.
Life & Style blogs
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
Labour leadership: Jeremy Corbyn accused of 'deluding' young supporters with 'claptrap'
'Women only' train carriages: Jeremy Corbyn unveils radical move to tackle public harassment
Black holes are a passage to another universe, says Stephen Hawking
Iain Duncan Smith 'should resign over disability benefit death figures', says Jeremy Corbyn
Iain Duncan Smith calls for urgent ESA overhaul as part of drive to cut down welfare costs
- 1 The difference between a migrant and refugee, in one sentence
- 2 Miley Cyrus calls out hypocrisy of women’s nipples being taboo
- 3 Celebrity Big Brother 2015: Tila Tequila kicked off show after 'describing Hitler as a good man'
- 4 iPhone 5c to be discontinued, no iPhone 6c to replace it
- 5 Blood Moon and Supermoon: September to bring brightest – and dimmest – full Moon of the year on same night
£18000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Sales Executive or Senior Sal...
£40000 - £55000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This industry leading company produces h...
£20000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This IT provider for the educat...